Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Fatwa says non alcoholic malt beverages sold in Saudi Arabia are Halal

It is haraam to drink a lot or a little of it, even a single drop, because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whatever intoxicates in large quantities, a little of it is haraam.” Narrated by al-Tirmidhi, 1865; classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh al-Tirmidhi.

The second type is beer that is not intoxicating, either because it is completely free of alcohol, or because it contains a minuscule amount of alcohol that does not reach the level of causing intoxication no matter how much a person drinks of it. The scholars have ruled that this is permissible.

So if something is haraam, there should be a clear and detailed indication that it is haraam. If there is no such proof then it is not haraam. The beer that is to be found in our markets here in the Land of the Two Holy Sanctuaries (Saudi Arabia) is all halaal and there is no doubt concerning that in sha Allaah.

We do not think that any alcoholic content in a thing makes it haraam, rather if something contains a percentage of alcohol which will make a person intoxicated if he drinks it, then it is haraam. But if the amount is miniscule and does not have any effect, then it is halaal.

Some people think that the words of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), “Whatever intoxicates in large quantities, a little of it is haraam”, mean that if a small percentage of an intoxicant is mixed with a large amount of a substance that is not intoxicating, then it is haraam. This is a misunderstanding of the hadeeth. “Whatever intoxicates in large quantities, a little of it is haraam” means that if a lot of something will cause intoxication, and a little of it will not cause intoxication, then a lot or a little are both haraam, because you may drink a little that does not cause intoxication, then you may be tempted to drink more and become intoxicated. But if something is mixed with alcohol but the alcohol is a small amount and does not have any effect, then it is halaal and does not come under the ruling of this hadeeth.

http://islam-qa.com/en/ref/33763
    O Allah, I ask You for knowledge that is of benefit, a good provision, and deeds that will be accepted . (Recite in Arabic upon rising in the morning.)

Allaahumma 'innee 'as'aluka 'ilman naafi'an, wa rizqan tayyiban, wa 'amalan mutaqabbalan.

Re: Fatwa says Beer sold in Saudi Arabia are Halal

So I guess this would mean that the definition of 'intoxicate' is what is up in the air? Where does one draw the line between a "minuscule" amount and more? For example, if I drink a "beer" with a small amount of alcohol it will surely not make me intoxicated. But at what point does the percentage cross the line from halal to haraam?

drink untill you think you feel your becoming drunk and then leave it LOL
    whats haram is Haram no if or buts
    O Allah, I ask You for knowledge that is of benefit, a good provision, and deeds that will be accepted . (Recite in Arabic upon rising in the morning.)

Allaahumma 'innee 'as'aluka 'ilman naafi'an, wa rizqan tayyiban, wa 'amalan mutaqabbalan.

there fatwas who say halal music as long its about Praising Allaah and His messenger
    Music is Haram and will allways be haram mixing good with bad = following shaytaans footsteps

THESE are our scholars???
    .لا نريد زعيما يخاف البيت الإبيض
    نريد زعيما يخاف الواحد الأحد
    دولة الإسلامية باقية

Nabi (Sallallaahu Alayhi Wasallam) mentions, 'Verily Halaal is clear, and verily Haraam is clear. And between them there are certain doubtful matters many people are unaware of, therefore, who stays away from doubtful matters he has protected his Deen and honour. And who gets involved in doubtful matters, he would fall into Haraam.' (Bukhari; Muslim)

Is he talking about barbican?
    "They are Shuhadaa (witnesses) to the fact that this Deen is greater than life, that values are more important than blood and that principles are more precious than souls" - Sheikh 'Abdullah Azzam

Lost in Islamic History

it says beer
    i dont know the diff types/names of beer

that is the drink that is supposedly "non-alcoholic beer"
    "
    "They are Shuhadaa (witnesses) to the fact that this Deen is greater than life, that values are more important than blood and that principles are more precious than souls" - Sheikh 'Abdullah Azzam

Lost in Islamic History

why would these scholars open up a door to muslims drinking this? what sense is there in that?

the ummah is suffering from disobedience to Allah and a scholar says its ok to drink a tiny bit of alcohol

what about in ten years, where will this fatwa take us?

if your child is lazy, do you tell him he can do his homework whenever he feels like it, or do you have to be a bit more strict and observant over how he spends his time?
    دولة الإسلامية باقية

There is no alchohol in it mates .

''But if something is mixed with alcohol but the alcohol is a small amount and does not have any effect, then it is halaal and does not come under the ruling of this hadeeth.''

sorry al faqeer I know you love your country very much that you cant see their fault but we wont accept it!

Quote Originally Posted by Beblessed View Post
    ''But if something is mixed with alcohol but the alcohol is a small amount and does not have any effect, then it is halaal and does not come under the ruling of this hadeeth.''

sorry al faqeer I know you love your country very much that you cant see their fault but we wont accept it!
    Who cares what you lot accept or reject , its what we accept and reject since we drinking it eh mate

The beer found in the Saudi stores has zero percent alcohol unless you have found yourself some from the black market .
    Where there are no Ulemah(Scholars) there are many Muftis.

I
    deal System of Living for All Mankind .

Quote Originally Posted by al faqeer View Post
    Who cares what you lot accept or reject , its what we accept and reject since we drinking it eh mate
    lol how does it taste ?
    no wonder when you talk you talk like a drunk man loool (joke) and people here think your mad

are you serious?

Quote Originally Posted by Abdul-Curim View Post
    The beer found in the Saudi stores has zero percent alcohol unless you have found yourself some from the black market .
    another saudi fatwa defender

lol how does it taste ?
    no wonder when you talk you talk like a drunk man loool (joke) and people here think your mad

are you serious?

I am serious , it has no alchohol so you can drink it .

Cool flavours too Apple, Pineapple , grape , strawberry

I like they think im drunk and mad thats the whole idea .

confuse people

I have not read your original post so I have not defended anything .

I am telling what I know first hand . You would never find alcoholic beverages anywhere in the Kingdom except in the black market .

I

There's no beer sold in Saudi. There's only non-alcholic malt beverage which is basically malt flavoured fizzy water. It's not beer, never has been beer, and the European legislation forbids it from being called beer, it's not allowed even to be called alcohol free beer, because it's not beer, hence it being called non-alcholic malt beverage.

Alcohol free beer is beer with the alcohol removed, i.e. it's still beer and it used to be alcoholic. Non-alcoholic malt beverage is just fizzy water with malt flavouring in, to make it taste vaguely like beer (but I'll wait to see what the non-Muslims say about that because as I understand it, the taste is not the same as beer)

I've never even seen alcohol free beer on sale in Saudi, just non-alcoholic malt beverage which is no more beer than 7-up is beer.

I am serious , it has no alchohol so you can drink it .

Cool flavours too Apple, Pineapple , grape , strawberry

I like they think im drunk and mad thats the whole idea .

confuse people
    no thanks keep to yourself and I'll stay on the safe side.

whats the fatwa then that says its okay to small amount of alcohol?

you have to question saleh al Munajjid for that as his website is banned in Saudiarabia .

I

There is no alcohol in the beer mate.

you have to question saleh al Munajjid for that as his website is banned in Saudiarabia .
    Cool its banned

Maybe they gonna say peanut butter aint permissible soon too .

but those non muslim who convert and read this fatwa and then it would 'hey sir its okay to drink small amount alcohol because fatwa said so' do you know how dangerous that is and misleading

but those non muslim who convert and read this fatwa and then it would 'hey sir its okay to drink small amount alcohol because fatwa said so' do you know how dangerous that is and misleading
    It does not say you can drink a small amount of Alcohol , it means if its in a solution with other contents like in medicines .

He used the word minuscule (or at least the translator did), he's probably referring to trace amounts is my guess, i.e. like in fresh fruit, or juice or even bread, due to reactions with yeast floating about in the air a tiny amount of alcohol is formed. My guess is that's the amount the scholar was referring to.
    How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck couldn't chuck wood?

Odan

lol. Islam QA is an awesome site

Someone has misunderstood the fatwah!

we should stop eating grapes since it is the inception of alcohol.

Lost in Islamic History

I don't see anything wrong with that fatwa. *shrugs*

Maybe one of the knowledgeable naysayers on this thread can enlighten me.

Quote Originally Posted by Irfan GBH View Post
    He used the word minuscule (or at least the translator did), he's probably referring to trace amounts is my guess, i.e. like in fresh fruit, or juice or even bread, due to reactions with yeast floating about in the air a tiny amount of alcohol is formed. My guess is that's the amount the scholar was referring to.
    this is exactly what is meant.

the sahabah used to drink juice right upto the point it went frothy, i.e it was turning alcoholic but wasn't intoxicating at this point.

everyone is laughing here, saying look at the saudis! when the sheikh in question is based in kuwait and this is mainstream hanbali fiqh based upon the understanding of the salaf not some far out ruling made up on the hoof.

It does not say you can drink a small amount of Alcohol , it means if its in a solution with other contents like in medicines .
    the rulling of the fatwa was about Drinking Beer not medicines,

and btw who premitted to take alcohol as medicine? its clear in the Quran that its haram to drink any kind of alcohol but offcourse we have scholars who say its okay. and we have scholars who say its okay to halal music and i guess you follow them too?

It was narrated that Abu Sa’eed al-Khudri said: We had some wine belonging to an orphan, and when al-Maa’idah was revealed (i.e., the prohibition of khamr or alcohol), I asked the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) about it and I said, “It belongs to the orphan.” He said: “Pour it away.” Narrated by al-Tirmidhi
    Last edited by Beblessed; 15-03-12 at 12:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by abu saalehah View Post
    this is exactly what is meant.

the sahabah used to drink juice right upto the point it went frothy, i.e it was turning alcoholic but wasn't intoxicating at this point.

everyone is laughing here, saying look at the saudis! when the sheikh in question is based in kuwait and this is mainstream hanbali fiqh based upon the understanding of the salaf not some far out ruling made up on the hoof.
    Hanbali? Imaam Ahmed ? lol your kidding me

Quote Originally Posted by samin62 View Post
    we should stop eating grapes since it is the inception of alcohol.
    fresh grapes has no alcohol

Quote Originally Posted by deen1984 View Post
    lol. Islam QA is an awesome site
    there was no need of your Neg Rep me out of your love for Islamqa! every innovation into the deen that contradicts to the Quraaan or Sunnah is misguidance.

Odan

there was no need of your Neg Rep me out of your love for Islamqa! every innovation into the deen that contradicts to the Quraaan or Sunnah is misguidance.
    Islam QA is always going to be better then SunniPath or w/e that site is called (A more appropriate name would be Biddah Path, as it has nothing to do with the Sunnah) which quotes weak narrations as the pillar of their arguments and ontop of that makes outright lies such as stating "the majority of the Salaf considered Shia's to be Muslims."

I mean, as soon as someone lies upon the salaf like THAT, Khalas, its over. You know these individuals are ignorant or deviants.

Allah al Mus'tam
    Last edited by Glow; 15-03-12 at 12:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dhak1yya View Post
    There's no beer sold in Saudi. There's only non-alcholic malt beverage which is basically malt flavoured fizzy water. It's not beer, never has been beer, and the European legislation forbids it from being called beer, it's not allowed even to be called alcohol free beer, because it's not beer, hence it being called non-alcholic malt beverage.

Alcohol free beer is beer with the alcohol removed, i.e. it's still beer and it used to be alcoholic. Non-alcoholic malt beverage is just fizzy water with malt flavouring in, to make it taste vaguely like beer (but I'll wait to see what the non-Muslims say about that because as I understand it, the taste is not the same as beer)

I've never even seen alcohol free beer on sale in Saudi, just non-alcoholic malt beverage which is no more beer than 7-up is beer.
    then please explain this fatwa, because to some of us, it seems as if it is legalizing "miniscule" amounts of alcohol

and for the counter-naysayers, no one is saying you cant eat grapes or anything of that sort, the point is whether this fatwa is "legalizing" light alcoholic drinks, whether immediately or in the foreseeable future
    دولة الإسلامية باقية

euromericanjudeochristian Justtoread's Avatar

Some sodas like Spite, Sierra Mist, 7up all have alcohol content that they do not list on the can in the U.S.. I think the average amount comes out to be .5%. Before people boiled their water and it was unsafe to drink most water it was mixed with alcohol to kill all the germs. Enough alcohol to kill the germs but not enough to dehydrate you.

Quote Originally Posted by Glow View Post
    Islam QA is always going to be better then SunniPath or w/e that site is (A more appropriate name would be Biddah Path, as it has nothing to do with the Sunnah) which quotes weak narrations as the pillar of there arguments and ontop of that makes outright lies such as stating "the majority of the Salaf considering Shia's to be Muslims."

Allah al Mus'tam
    my point here was not sunnipath so dont just come here and talk about sunnipath mashallah i have seen good fatwa there then the ones on Islamqa, because sunnipath goes back to what Ashaafi, Imaam Ahmed, imaam Maliki, Imaam Abu Hanifa and their students Ibn khatir, nawawi,ibn hajar, imaam bukhari, and the well known scholars, unfortunatly Islamqa has Sheikh Ibn taymiyyah, Al Bani, Uthaymeen, bin baz (whom I respect but not follow) on most or all of their fatwas as their answers which many great scholar of ahlul sunnah did not accept their fatwa

Odan

Quote Originally Posted by AbuMubarak View Post
    then please explain this fatwa, because to some of us, it seems as if it is legalizing "miniscule" amounts of alcohol

and for the counter-naysayers, no one is saying you cant eat grapes or anything of that sort, the point is whether this fatwa is "legalizing" light alcoholic drinks, whether immediately or in the foreseeable future
    This fatwaa is very clear. No explanation needed.

Minuscule amounts of Alcohol (we are talking about 0.0000001%) are found in almost all modern medicine used for surgery to giving birth to curing the everyday heachache. The alcohol is there but is extremely minute and is mixed with many other things in much larger quantities. Furthermore, most all fruits and even some grain products such as bread have some minute level of alcohol in them (again in the 0.0000001 range) as soon as they hit a day or 2 old, again, we are talking minute levels and of course it is mixed with many other things but none the less it remains present.

Last but not least this is not a willful introduction of alcohol, they don't put it in on purpose nor is there intention to drink it and get drunk and then claim this Hadith. They are not walking towards this vile substance. MashAllah Saudi Arabia is the strictest country in the world when it comes to alcoholic consumption. Products that don't require some minute level of alcoholic but have some minute level of alcohol in them anyways are often not allowed in the country. No need to say that beer or any pure alchoalic substance is not allowed in the country and it has the strictest laws in the world byyyy farrrrr against alcohol consumption or production or manufacturing or selling or severing or buying or transporting. Everyone there involved in that business gets a piece of the pie when caught. It is what is there already in a minute form and cannot be extracted (or we don't have the technology to extract it as of yet).
    Last edited by Glow; 15-03-12 at 01:06 PM.