Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Exclamation The ruling of Folding Trousers/Sleeves before Salah (Important)

It is very common to see Brothers folding their trousers up above the ankles before Salah, and then folding them back down after Salah, I myself have done this in the past.

I heard some brothers say this should not be done, but I never paid much attention to it, until recently when I began looking into this issue.

So the ruling is this should not be done.

An extract from Mashhur Hasan Al Salman's 'The Clarified Ruling Of Mistakes Done In Salāt'

[6] Tucking up clothes in Salāt:

Some muslims tuck up their clothes before they begin their
    Salāt which is something forbidden. Ibn’Abbās related, ‘the
    prophet said: ‘I was ordered to prostrate on seven bones,
    was forbidden to tuck up my clothes and to collect my hair in
    Salāt’.(1)

Ibn Khuzaimah dedicated a chapter of his book “The Sahīh” for
    this issue and titled it with “Tucking up clothes in Salāt”.(2)

An-Nawawī said: ‘The ‘Ulamah agreed that it is a forbidden act
    to tuck up clothes, roll up sleeves or the like in Salāt’.(3)

Imām Mālik said -concerning rolling up sleeves, then
    performing Salāt in such a state: ‘If one did this act while working
    then started his Salāt in such a state, it is all right but if he did it
    intentionally for doing Salāt or during it then there is no good in
    it’.(4)

In my opinion, the prohibition mentioned in the hadīth is a
    general one whether one tucks up his clothes or collects his hair
    before or during doing Salāt.

An-Nawawī said: ‘Tucking up clothes or collecting hair is
    something detested. If one does Salāt in such a state, he has done
    something bad but his Salāt is correct and valid. Abū Ja’far,
    Muhammad Ibn Jarīr At-Tabarī held this opinion and related the
    ‘Ulamah’s unanimous agreement on it. Ibn Al-Munthir related from
    Al-Hasan Al-Basri that if one does such an act and then performed
    Salāt, he should repeat it’.(5)

Then he continued saying: ‘Al-Jumhūr’s opinion is that this
    prohibition is a general one whether it is done intentionally for
    Salāt or before it’. Ad-Dāwūdy, however, said: ‘The prohibition is
    addressed to those who do this act intentionally for Salāt. The
    sounder opinion is the first one, which was held by the Sahāba and
    others’.(6)

Refs:
    (1)Narrated by Muslim in the Book of Salāt, chapter: The organs of prostration and the
    prohibition of tucking up clothes and gathering hair in Salāt, (vol. 1 / p. 354) (no.
    490), An-Nasā’ī in the book of Salāt, chapter: The prohibition of tucking up hair in
    prostration, (vol. 2 / p. 215), Ibn Mājah in the book of doing Salāt, chapter: Tucking
    up clothes and gathering hair in Salāt, (vol. 1 / p. 331) (no. 1040), Ibn Khuzaimah in
    the Book of Salāt, chapter: The prohibition of tucking up clothes in Salāt (vol.1 / p.
    383) (no. 782). I mentioned the first part of the hadīth’s narrations when editing
    “Man Wāfaqat Kunyatuhu Kunyata Zawjihi Mina As-Sahābah” by Ibn Hayawayh.
    (2) “Sahīh Ibn khuzaimah” (vol. 1 / p. 383).
    (3) “Sharh Sahīh Muslim” (vol. 4 / p. 209).
    (4) “Al-Mudawwanah Al-Kubrā” (vol. 1 / p. 96).
    (5) Sharh Sahīh Muslim (vol. 4 / p. 209).
    (6) The previous reference.
    Last edited by Sunni Student; 06-12-10 at 02:29 PM.

Re: The ruling of Folding Trousers/Sleeves before Salah (Important)

Also to add some fataawa of current Shuyookh in Hanafee Madhhab:

It is necessary to keep the pants/upper garment above the ankles by hemming it otherwise by folding it. A person will be sinful for allowing his upper garment to flow below his ankles. Rasulullah (صلى الله عليه وسلم) has mentioned:

عن أبي هريرة رضي الله عنه عن النبي صلى الله عليه وسلم قال ما أسفل من الكعبين من الإزار ففي النار
    ( صحيح البخاري ج 2 / ص861, قديمي)

http://www.askimam.org/fatwa/fatwa.p...61cb2a3650dfad
    [Checked & approved by Mufti Ebrahim Desai]

http://www.askimam.org/fatwa/fatwa.p...061f298c5b01f1

http://www.askimam.org/fatwa/fatwa.p...2a7d8826c46c75

http://qa.sunnipath.com/issue_view.a...13924&CATE=239

I have also read that this tucking up/folding of clothes is specific for the germent that is 'above' the ankle and not below it. As for the germent that is below the ankle this must be folded.

This is the opinion held by Islamweb:

"It is permissible for you to fold up your trousers before performing the prayer; as a matter of fact you are obliged to do so. It is forbidden to wear clothes below the ankle even if the purpose is not for boasting according to a group of scholars may Allaah have mercy upon them.

The Prophet sallallaahu `alayhi wa sallam ( may Allaah exalt his mention ) said: "The lower garment should not be below the ankle." He further said to Jaabir Ibn Saleem may Allaah be pleased with him: "Lift your lower garment until half of your leg [level of shin]. If you cannot do so, then do not let it hang below the ankle. Beware of letting the garment below the ankle, as this is a sign of arrogance, and Allaah does not like arrogance." [Ahmed]

Furthermore, there is another narration which prohibits wearing clothes below the ankle when performing the prayer. So a Muslim should not let his garment hang below his ankle whether when performing the prayer or else. "

Source: Islamweb Fatwa

Jazakallah for Mufti Saab's input on the issue, his answers seem to be conflicting to me.

In one Fatwa he says:

"There is no Hadith prohibiting folding the pants. Any such reference is a distortion of people ignorant of Hadith."

And in another Fatwa he acknowledges:

" It is Makrooh Tahrimi to perform Salaah with the sleeves folded."

Is he referrimg to the sleeves of the upper garment [i.e shirt/kameez/thobe] only? If so how does he distinguish the folding of of the upper garment from the folding of the lower garment? As the referemces that speak of folding to not make this distinction.

A hadith from Riyadh us Saliheen:

797. Abu Hurairah (May Allah be pleased with him) reported: Messenger of Allah (PBUH) said to a man who was performing Salat while his lower garment was trailing, "Go and perform your Wudu' again.'' That man went and came back having performed it. The Messenger of Allah (PBUH) said (again), "Go and perform your Wudu'.'' Someone present said to Messenger of Allah (PBUH): "O Messenger of Allah! You ask him to perform his Wudu' and then you kept silent (without saying the reason for it).'' He (PBUH) said, "He performed Salat while his lower garment was below his ankels. Allah does not accept the Salat of a man who trails his lower garment.''
    [Abu Dawud]

http://www.witness-pioneer.org/vil/h...03/chap119.htm

wal 'aqibatulil muttaqeen Uthman Ibn Afan's Avatar

<QUESTION>
    My trousers length is always below the ankles, but while offering Salat, I always try to fold it up. Does this invalidate the prayers? Is it Makruh to perform Salat with trousers folded up like it is Makruh to offer Salat with sleeves rolled-up?
    <ANSWER>
    In the name of Allah, Most Compassionate, Most Merciful,

In terms of the validity of the prayer, there is no question that performing Salat with trousers folded up does not invalidate one’s prayer.

As for this being disliked (makruh) in Salat, it was explained in a previously posted answer titled: “Wearing Short-Sleeved Shirts” that the Hanafi jurists (fuqaha) generally consider performing Salat in ways that are contrary to proper etiquettes (adab), such as rolling-up one’s sleeves to the elbows, to be Makruh. (Radd al-Muhtar, 1/ 640)

In light of this, it will be Makruh to perform Salat with one’s trousers folded-up if they are folded in an untidy and improper way, such that one would feel embarrassed to be in that state in noble gatherings; for example folding the trousers up to or close to the knees. However, if they are folded neatly and slightly, then it will not be Makruh.

As for the Hadith recorded by Imam al-Bukhari in his Sahih from Sayyiduna Abdullah ibn Abbas (Allah be pleased with him) that the Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him & give him peace) said, “We have been ordered to prostrate on seven bones, and to neither gather a garment nor hair” (Sahih al-Bukhari 777), it refers to lifting or gathering and tying one’s garment from the front or back before going into prostration (sujud) to prevent it from touching the floor. This is prohibitively disliked, as it goes against the spirit of Salat which is based on ultimate humility. (See: Imdad al-Fattah sharh Nur al-Idah P: 357 and Tahtawi ala Maraqi al-Falah P 350)

And Allah knows best
    Muhammad ibn Adam
    Darul Iftaa
    http://kondori.wordpress.com/

Like this page on FB
    HasbunAllah Wani'mal Wakeel | حسبنا الله ونعم الوكيل

Allah is Sufficient for us, and He is the Best Disposer of affairs.

"...its better to light a small candle than to curse the darkness..."

"We need to emphasise that differences of fiqh are the not the depth of religion, the depth of religion is piety." ~
    Shaykh Akram Nadwi

Salātullāhi wa Salāmuhu ‘alayka ya Rasūlallāh

alfi salella alel madani ahmed_abdullah's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sunni Student View Post
    Jazakallah for Mufti Saab's input on the issue, his answers seem to be conflicting to me.

In one Fatwa he says:

"There is no Hadith prohibiting folding the pants. Any such reference is a distortion of people ignorant of Hadith."

Is he referrimg to the sleeves of the upper garment [i.e shirt/kameez/thobe] only? If so how does he distinguish the folding of of the upper garment from the folding of the lower garment? As the referemces that speak of folding to not make this distinction.
    He is saying that there is no hadith which prohibits i.e. claims to be haram to fold up the pants for salah only.But then it is makrooh as by the sayings of scholars, if performed always then it is makrooh tahrimi.
    صلى الله على حبيبه محمد و على آله و أصحابه و سلم
    Al-Muslimeen

Quote Originally Posted by Sunni Student View Post

In one Fatwa he says:

wa iyyak

I have read somewhere on Askimam about performing salawaat with the t-shirt sleeve being above elbow - being makruh.

Quote Originally Posted by Khalid b. Walid View Post
    A hadith from Riyadh us Saliheen:

797. Abu Hurairah (May Allah be pleased with him) reported: Messenger of Allah (PBUH) said to a man who was performing Salat while his lower garment was trailing, "Go and perform your Wudu' again.'' That man went and came back having performed it. The Messenger of Allah (PBUH) said (again), "Go and perform your Wudu'.'' Someone present said to Messenger of Allah (PBUH): "O Messenger of Allah! You ask him to perform his Wudu' and then you kept silent (without saying the reason for it).'' He (PBUH) said, "He performed Salat while his lower garment was below his ankels. Allah does not accept the Salat of a man who trails his lower garment.''
    [Abu Dawud]

http://www.witness-pioneer.org/vil/h...03/chap119.htm
    The sharh and tafseer of this would be welcomed. I will try to see Ma'ariful Hadeeth.

Odan

bump
    please do not ever rep me. jazakallah.