Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Question Dress code for Umrah

Is it permissible for a woman to cover her face during Umrah and wear gloves. I've been told that it is not allowed, but I thought this only applied during Hajj?

Also, what about wearing something that covers the face but does not touch it?

May Allah reward you for your response

Account Disabled

Re: Dress code for Umrah

40 days to go
    Wearing niqab and gloves isnt permissible at the state of ihraam. But u can cover ur face in front of non-mehram with part of ur garment

Account Disabled

It's not allowed but some women wear a cap with a veil attached. So they are covered but the niqab doesnt touch their face....

Rasulullah (Sallallaahu Alayhi Wasallam) said, 'The Ihraam of a female is
    her face (keep the face uncovered) and the Ihraam of a male is her head
    (keep the head uncovered).'

Just as it is prohibited for a male to cover his head during Ihraam, so too
    it is prohibited for a female to cover her face in the state of Ihraam.
    (Mishkaat pg.236, Karachi).

In order to avoid evil glances of strange males, a female should wear a veil without it touching the face. It is advisable for a female to cover
    her face during Ihraam in such a way that the cloth does not touch her face. That is generally practiced by drawing the veil from the petruding front
    part of a sun cap.

A female may perform her Tawaaf and Sa'ee with the veil down as explained
    above. When performing Salaat with the veil, it (the veil) will touch her
    face during Sajdah. Furthermore, it may be difficult to perform Sajdah with
    the sun cap, therefore, it is advisable that a female perform her Salaat in
    her room or in the female section of the Haram.

and Allah Ta'ala Knows Best

Mufti Ebrahim Desai
    Last edited by MWarrior; 13-07-09 at 08:49 AM.

Account Disabled

40 days to go
    ukhtee read this

Jazakallahu khair to you both for the information.

So it is permissible to cover the face if men should pass nearby but it should not touch my face?

What about wearing a large hooded cape so that when I look down the sides of it would cover most of my face? Is this allowed?

Account Disabled

^^
    40 days to go
    waiyyaki ukhtee

yes.

i think hooded cape is allowed as it says in the above fatwa tht just drag the part of her garment, lowering it from the top of her head over her face

Quote Originally Posted by غير معروف View Post

Is it permissible for a woman to cover her face during Umrah and wear gloves. I've been told that it is not allowed, but I thought this only applied during Hajj?

Also, what about wearing something that covers the face but does not touch it?

May Allah reward you for your response

Sister, many women perform Hajj/Umrah without having the need to 'try' to cover their face.

Respectfully, it seems you're making things difficult for yourself; observe the other women (that don't have the need to cover their faces), and insha'Allah, the Pilgrimage will be much easier
    'Nor say of anything,"I shall be sure to do so and so tomorrow" without adding, " if Allah (SWT) Wills" (18:23-24)

QuranExplorer.com, where you can Listen to the Holy Recitation and Translation online in Arabic and English : http://www.quranexplorer.com/quran/

she is not making things difficult for herself, she is concerned because she has hayaa and fears Allah.

sis, don't look at others, do what you think is best. you can wear your normal clothing, and many ulama here say it is even more important to observe niqab during ihram. it is advised to wear a niqab that is attached to a cap sort of thing, which is held away from the face. some saudi ulama say it is fine to wear normal niqab then pay the .... afterwards, (money; i cannot remember the term) because of it touching the face.

don't expose your face because people tell you to; you stick to your beliefs. it cannot ever be said that its a bad thing that a woman prefers to observe niqab during ihram even if it caused difficulty; after all, hajj is a type of mujahadah for us females.
    The enforcement of Muslim Brotherhood is the greatest social ideal of Islam. On it was based the Prophet's (SAW) sermon on his last pilgrimage, and Islam cannot be completely realized until this ideal is achieved. '
    (Shaikh Maulana Muhammad Yusuf)
    In Lam Takun Ghaadiban Annee Falaa Ubaalee...

Quote Originally Posted by KeeKee View Post
    she is not making things difficult for herself, she is concerned because she has hayaa and fears Allah.

sis, don't look at others, do what you think is best. you can wear your normal clothing, and many ulama here say it is even more important to observe niqab during ihram. it is advised to wear a niqab that is attached to a cap sort of thing, which is held away from the face. some saudi ulama say it is fine to wear normal niqab then pay the .... afterwards, (money; i cannot remember the term) because of it touching the face.

don't expose your face because people tell you to; you stick to your beliefs. it cannot ever be said that its a bad thing that a woman prefers to observe niqab during ihram even if it caused difficulty; after all, hajj is a type of mujahadah for us females.
    Sister, read the Hadiths in relation to 'covering' the face (when in Pilgrimage).
    'Nor say of anything,"I shall be sure to do so and so tomorrow" without adding, " if Allah (SWT) Wills" (18:23-24)

QuranExplorer.com, where you can Listen to the Holy Recitation and Translation online in Arabic and English : http://www.quranexplorer.com/quran/

bro, this topic is very lengthy and has been discussed very much; majority of ulama in uk advise to cover the face somehow; there is a hadeeth of hadhrat aisha when she would perform umrah, and a man passed by she would cover her face with her jilbab; now its always full, men everywhere, fitnah is still therel it is very important to take all necessary precautions SPECIALLY whilst in ihram and doing tawaf of the baitullah.
    The enforcement of Muslim Brotherhood is the greatest social ideal of Islam. On it was based the Prophet's (SAW) sermon on his last pilgrimage, and Islam cannot be completely realized until this ideal is achieved. '

bro, this topic is very lengthy and has been discussed very much; majority of ulama in uk advise to cover the face somehow; there is a hadeeth of hadhrat aisha when she would perform umrah, and a man passed by she would cover her face with her jilbab; now its always full, men everywhere, fitnah is still therel it is very important to take all necessary precautions SPECIALLY whilst in ihram and doing tawaf of the baitullah.
    The Sister should be with a mahrem (obviously). That should reduce the fitna considerably.

Of course I will be with mahrams at the time, just as Aisha (RA) was most probabably with her mahrams.

Jazakallahu khair for the input though

And Allah Truly Knows Best

being with a mahram these days is no barrier to fitnah.

some saudi ulama say it is fine to wear normal niqab then pay the .... afterwards, (money; i cannot remember the term) because of it touching the face.
    last I heard, some hanafi ulama were also considering taking this stance.
    Rajab is a month of cultivation, Shaban is month of irrigating the fields, and the month of Ramadhan is a month of reaping and harvesting.

Account Disabled

Sorry peacenik, but there are respectable scholars who are more knowledgable than laymen like me and you, and they have studied this issue and given their answer/opinion. so let's just respect that instead of trying to make out we know more than them.

Quote Originally Posted by Medievalist View Post
    last I heard, some hanafi ulama were also considering taking this stance.
    yes; and it certainly would make it easier...because one way or another cloth always touches the face by mistake anyway.

♥ a crooked rib ♥ ~TwinklingStar~'s Avatar

Remember it becomes "waajib" upon females to cover their faces when fearing fitnah. In such a state the face will have to be covered in such a manner that the covering does not touch the face.

Sister , get the Ihram Niqaab or Hooded cap or whatever it is called . Alhamdulillah, it is very conevnient and you will not even have to worry whether some non-mehrem is looking at you & bother with covering /uncovering again & again.

Personally, I think its better than wearing the actual "niqaab" because you're making an effort to follow the rules of ihraam & also covering your face without violating the rules of ihraam.

Instead of taking the easy way out, we can atleast try our best to please Allah...We'll get rewarded for our intentions & efforts too...

Anyways thats my opinion, And yes, the cloth somehow touches the face, so, we have to pay "dam" anyways.
    Last edited by ~TwinklingStar~; 14-07-09 at 10:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MWarrior View Post
    Sorry peacenik, but there are respectable scholars who are more knowledgable than laymen like me and you, and they have studied this issue and given their answer/opinion. so let's just respect that instead of trying to make out we know more than them.

Thank you, Brother MWarrior; and I wasn't alluding to that at all. Maybe you were reading too much into what I said ?