Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Salat al-Ibrahimiyyah/Durood Ibrahim

Assalaamu aleykum, this is something that's been on my mind for a long time, however, having recently learned the name of what this is even called, thought I would post a topic on it. During every prayer after the tashahhud in the last raka we say a special formula:

أللهم صل على محمد وعلى آل محمد كما صليت على إبراهيم وعلى آل إبراهيم إنك حميد مجيد. أللهم بارك على محمد وعلى آل محمد كما باركت على إبراهيم وعلى آل إبراهيم إنك حميد مجيد

Allahumma Salli 3ala Muhammadin wa 3ala aali Muhammadin kamaa sallayta 3ala Ibrahim wa 3ala aali Ibrahim innaka 7ameedun majeed, wa baarik 3ala Muhammadin wa 3ala aali Muhammadin kamaa baarakta 3ala Ibrahim wa 3ala aali Ibrahim innaka 7ameedun majeed.

O Allah! Send blessings upon Muhammad and upon the family of Muhammad as You sent blessings upon Abraham and upon the family of Abraham; indeed, You are praiseworthy and glorious. O Allah! Bless Muhammad and the family of Muhammad as You blessed Abraham and the family of Abraham; indeed, You are praiseworthy and glorious.

This stems from this hadith in Sahih Bukhari:

Narrated Abdur-Rahman bin Abi Laila: Ka'b bin Ujrah met me and said, "Shall I not give you a present I got from the Prophet?" 'Abdur-Rahman said, "Yes, give it to me." I said, "We asked Allah's Apostle saying, 'O Allah's Apostle! How should one (ask Allah to) send blessings on you, the members of the family, for Allah has taught us how to salute you (in the prayer)?' He said, 'Say: O Allah! Send Your Mercy on Muhammad and on the family of Muhammad, as You sent Your Mercy on abraham and on the family of abraham, for You are the Most Praise-worthy, the Most Glorious. O Allah! Send Your Blessings on Muhammad and the family of Muhammad, as You sent your Blessings on abraham and on the family of abraham, for You are the Most Praise-worthy, the Most Glorious.' " Book #55, Hadith #589

So, I found out that this is called Salat al-Ibrahimiyyah, or for south Asians, "Durood Ibrahim." If you Google it you can find it on all kinds of websites praising it as the best supplication, its merits, etc. etc. However, I have yet to come across an adequate explanation of what it means. I say this everyday during prayers, but what are the implications of what is being said? What is the blessing that Allah gave to the "aal" of Ibrahim that we are supplicating to be bestowed on the "aal" of Muhammad? The only offer I've seen is this:

http://www.khalidzaheer.com/qa/378

The word durood is a Persian word meaning prayer. It has come to be used in the sub-continent specifically for the prayer we make for the prophet, alaihissalaam. The word we use in the durood is "Aal-e-Ibrahim". The word Aal encompasses in it one's friends, helpers and followers. Likewise, when the Qur'an used the word 'Aal-e-Firaun' that were drowned, it was not only the Pharoah and his family, but also his followers, chieftains in his court and his supporters. Similarly, when we say 'Aal-e-Ibrahim', we send durood upon prophet Ibrahim's supporters, helpers and followers. Those Jews that sincerely followed the right commandments belong to this category, and since they were on the path of truth they are also sent durood upon. On the other hand, those Jews who opposed prophet Muhammad pbuh.gif and stood against him, or who knowingly corrupted their faith or misguided others cannot be classified as 'Aal-e-Ibrahim' and therefore, do not come in this phrase. Same is true of 'Aal-e-Muhammad' and Muslims in the durood.

This is a good explanation that "aal," here applies to the followers of someone, but there's another hadith in Sahih Bukhari that clarifies what exactly the intent of this association is:

Narrated Abu Humaid As-Sa'idi: The people asked, "O Allah's Apostle! How shall we (ask Allah to) send blessings on you?" Allah's Apostle replied, "Say: O Allah! Send Your Mercy on Muhammad and on his wives and on his off spring, as You sent Your Mercy on Abraham's family; and send Your Blessings on Muhammad and on his offspring, as You sent Your Blessings on Abraham's family, for You are the Most Praise-worthy, the Most Glorious." Book #55, #588.

This version does not mention "aal" in a generic way, but instead says "wives" and "offspring," thereby specifying that "aal" cannot mean followers, but it is directly related to one's family. Notice how it says send mercy and includes wives, however, when it says send blessings it just mentions offspring.

So, my question is, based on your knowledge, what was the blessing that Allah bestowed on the family of Ibrahim that we are supplicating to be bestowed on the family of Muhammad? What does this supplication mean? JazakAllah khair.

speak good or be silent the_middle_road's Avatar

Re: Salat al-Ibrahimiyyah/Durood Ibrahim

Quote Originally Posted by baa7ith View Post

So, my question is, based on your knowledge, what was the blessing that Allah bestowed on the family of Ibrahim that we are supplicating to be bestowed on the family of Muhammad? What does this supplication mean? JazakAllah khair.
    Wa alaikum salaam

In the explanation of the hadith by Imam al-Nawawi he states that meaning of barakah (blessings) here means increase in goodness (khair) and nobility / honour (karaamah). And it is also said that it means purification (tat-heer wa tazkiyah).

http://hadith.al-islam.com/Display/D...hLevel=Allword
    "And thus have We willed you to be a community of the middle way."
    (al-Baqarah: 143)

Allahumma innaa na'udhu bika min an nushrika bika shai-an na'lamuh; wa nastaghfiruka limaa laa na'lam.