Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Ads by Muslim Ad Network

which is the proper way to kiss cheek to cheek?

k..i apologize if this sounds silly

being from the west, we are not really a people who greet one another with a kiss on each side of the cheeks

i have seen italians, greeks who do this. and all muslims when they greet do this as well..when brothers greet brothers, they hug and kiss cheek to cheek

sisters do too. is it right cheek, left cheek then right cheek again? is that the proper way? i ve been doing it for years and still get confused because everyone seems to do it differently, moroccans seem to do right, left, and left again?

its awkward when your doing it one way and the person your greeting is doing it another way.

this ever happen to you? is there a proper way muslims should do this?

In search .... of answers Treasured Soul's Avatar

Re: which is the proper way to kiss cheek to cheek?

ya .. i know what you mean sis .. when i first moved here .. most of my relatives would greet with a kiss on the cheek ... i found it bit awkward at first .. i nearly kissed a lady on the lips once!

So this is what I've picked up ... Just wait for the other person to initiate .. and when they do .. they normally move their face left or right .. then u know which way to go! hope that made sense

and if the other person doesnt initiate, then you quickly do it so they dont have time to think, which time youve kissed them on the cheek

but its more like kissing into the air, isnt it
    When you were born you were crying and everyone around you was smiling. Live your life so that when you die, you're the one smiling and everyone around you is crying...

Man's way leads to a hopeless end...Allah's way leads to an endless hope

Morris
    Guests

Quote Originally Posted by Treasured Soul View Post

lol

Yeah just move your head near theirs and go "mwah, mwah"

arab men do it. pakis dont. I'd find it well weird if some bro started kissing me.
    Rajab is a month of cultivation, Shaban is month of irrigating the fields, and the month of Ramadhan is a month of reaping and harvesting.”

Quote Originally Posted by Tahiyah View Post
    i dnt think so cos apparently its not sunnah :S (not sure)
    it just varies bc some people do only 2 instead of 3 aswel
    .: Rufaida :.
    .:Fa Firroo Ila-llaah:.

“People praise you for what they suppose is in you,
    but you must blame your soul for what you know is in you.”
    ~ Ibn Atallah

Quote Originally Posted by Morris View Post
    lol

hehe .. thats it!!

Quote Originally Posted by Medievalist View Post
    arab men do it. pakis dont. I'd find it well weird if some bro started kissing me.
    well paki women have started ... maybe the men will pick it up too
    When you were born you were crying and everyone around you was smiling. Live your life so that when you die, you're the one smiling and everyone around you is crying...

well paki women have started ... maybe the men will pick it up too
    I dont associate with those kind of paki men, thank you very much.
    Rajab is a month of cultivation, Shaban is month of irrigating the fields, and the month of Ramadhan is a month of reaping and harvesting.”

ya .. i know what you mean sis .. when i first moved here .. most of my relatives would greet with a kiss on the cheek ... i found it bit awkward at first .. i nearly kissed a lady on the lips once!

So this is what I've picked up ... Just wait for the other person to initiate .. and when they do .. they normally move their face left or right .. then u know which way to go! hope that made sense

and if the other person doesnt initiate, then you quickly do it so they dont have time to think, which time youve kissed them on the cheek

yeah, its more into the air, your right. we dont actually kiss the cheek, well kinda out of the side of the lips a little, oh i dunno

Account Disabled

In Miami, it's basically a one cheek kiss ... left cheek, no actual kiss sound ... Latin style ...

Portuguese style ... both cheeks, left first ...

Us Irish people just kind of nod at each other ...

Nothing more than a handshake between the guys ...

Account Disabled

This is news to me

Quote Originally Posted by Ignatius F. Peace View Post
    In Miami, it's basically a one cheek kiss ... left cheek, no actual kiss sound ... Latin style ...

the first time my brother (non muslim) was around a group of my husbands friends (moroccan brothers)...my husband introduced him as his brother in law, so they all kissed him cheek to cheek. he never experienced this before, it was hilarious...he asked/whispered to me whyyyyy are they kissing me? lol..i couldnt help it, i told him they think your cute..

in time he got use to this and truly admired the brotherhood of muslims

This cheek to cheek kiss is a greeting and in islam a greeting is saying Asslamualaikum and a handshake. Saying that is a sunnah.
    الصلوۃ والسلام علیک یا سیدی یارسول اللہ

Account Disabled

lol..i couldnt help it, i told him they think your cute..

I recently took an elderly Muslim gentleman (lebanese) to take a tour of our building prior to his closing ... he was so happy ... when we got back the the lobby, he held my arm like a woman would when her father "walked her down the aisle" at her wedding ... I was a bit taken aback but I was cool with it ...

His wife sent me lunch the next day ... I was out of the office but Cecille and Artie said it was delicious ...

Quote Originally Posted by Kasim2k7 View Post
    This cheek to cheek kiss is a greeting and in islam a greeting is saying Asslamualaikum and a handshake. Saying that is a sunnah.
    To return a greeting is Fard :

"When a (courteous) greeting is offered you, meet it with a greeting still more courteous, or (at least) of equal courtesy. Allah takes careful account of all things." (4:86).

i couldnt help it, i told him they think your cute..

Quote Originally Posted by Peacenik View Post
    To return a greeting is Fard :

"When a (courteous) greeting is offered you, meet it with a greeting still more courteous, or (at least) of equal courtesy. Allah takes careful account of all things." (4:86).
    True words.
    الصلوۃ والسلام علیک یا سیدی یارسول اللہ

yea i think everyone does it different. here we do one on any cheek, french do a kiss on each cheek, egyptians three on each cheek starting with the left, morroccons and algerians 4 air kisses, and bengalis sisters two kisses on the cheek ( only sometimes when i havent seen them for ages but thats probably jus them being polite , cos i kiss them first cos they dont come often and i miss them loads )
    Last edited by *asiya*; 20-03-08 at 12:12 AM.
    "O you who believe! Stand out firmly for justice, as witnesses to Allah, even as against yourselves, or your parents, or your kin, and whether it be (against) rich or poor: for Allah can best protect both. Follow not the lusts (of your hearts), lest you swerve, and if you distort (justice) or decline to do justice, verily Allah is well-acquainted with all that you do." [An-Nisa 4:135]

The Prophet said:

"Whosoever leaves off obedience and separates from the Jamaa'ah and dies, he dies a death of jaahiliyyah. Whoever fights under the banner of the blind, becoming angry for 'asabiyyah (nationalism/tribalism/partisanship) or calling to 'asabiyyah, or assisting 'asabiyyah, then dies, he dies a death of jaahiliyyah."

muslim

Narrated 'Abdullah:

The Prophet, said, "Abusing a Muslim is Fusuq (evil doing) and killing him is Kufr (disbelief)." sahih bukhari

"Creeping upon you is the diseases of those people before you: envy and hatred. And hatred is the thing that shaves. I do not say it shaves the hair but it shaves the religion!

By the One in whose Hand is my soul, you will not enter paradise until you believe, and you will not believe until you love one another. Certainly, let me inform you of that which may establish such things: spread the greetings and peace among yourselves."

[Recorded by Imam Ahmad and Al-Tirmidhi]

I love S,A,U,D and I Why? Saudi Prince's Avatar

k..i apologize if this sounds silly

being from the west, we are not really a people who greet one another with a kiss on each side of the cheeks

i have seen italians, greeks who do this. and all muslims when they greet do this as well..when brothers greet brothers, they hug and kiss cheek to cheek

sisters do too. is it right cheek, left cheek then right cheek again? is that the proper way? i ve been doing it for years and still get confused because everyone seems to do it differently, moroccans seem to do right, left, and left again?

its awkward when your doing it one way and the person your greeting is doing it another way.

Angry as I have to rewrite this again. It's just gone before I submit it I don't know why!

I think only Arab kiss!

I'll tell you about the Saudi style of kissing lol.

The norm is 2 kisses (cheek to cheek). You make sure that your cheek touches his/her cheek starting with the right cheek first then the left. No kiss sound!

If the person is a true friend then you press while kissing lol.

It can also go up to 6 kisses if you haven't seen him for a long time and he is a dear friend!

We kiss children lips to cheeks!

Some Egyptian kiss you near the lip..just 1 cm away from it lol and with a kiss sound!

I think our style is very nice but the western style is a bit weird! How come women kiss non-mahram men? I remmeber once when I was in Cambridge, a girl asked me "I'm leaving tomorrow, can I kiss you, please?" Well, I can't tell you the rest...

I looooooooooooooooooooooooooove Saudi. I truely dooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

YDoUwant2KnoIfImHappy/Not GuCcI's Avatar

omg the whole kiss cheek thing is so complicated

my neighbours are arab and wen they came for the first time after we moved in i came home from work they came to kiss me and i was like and i did it alll wrong cuz i didnt know if its left or right first and how many times u gotta do it and my mom just watched and laughed at me oh man how embarassing... and confusing
    Screaming, But Will Never Be Heard

I dont think its a sunnah to kiss, but anyway, someone told me your supposed to only do it once, on the left side, so that you are heart to heart with the person...i think...
    "Ask (questions from) the learned, speak with the wise, and associate with the poor."

LEARN TO WRITE YOUR HURTS IN
    THE SAND AND TO CARVE YOUR BENEFITS IN STONE

I was told that pakistani people hug you and lift you from the floor. So, basically, your legs are playing in the air. How about if the other person is very fat and I can never lift it?

Straggler In Distress LastFriday's Avatar

Eww what...I just hug and go...yo wut up yo wut up yo wut and do the 5 move hand shake salam, and then the elbow tap. None of that girly kissing wissing
    " The issue in palestine will not be solved by the United States or any western country. It's not going to be solved by Dan Six Pack or Sally Soccer mom! " Anwar Al-Awlaki

Quote Originally Posted by Saudi Prince View Post
    I was told that pakistani people hug you and lift you from the floor. So, basically, your legs are playing in the air. How about if the other person is very fat and I can never lift it?
    I dont think thats true bro.
    But if it was, then I'd say you let the heavier person lift u off the floor.
    "Ask (questions from) the learned, speak with the wise, and associate with the poor."

LEARN TO WRITE YOUR HURTS IN
    THE SAND AND TO CARVE YOUR BENEFITS IN STONE

salams ukhti

i did the same as you and almost got a sister smack on the lips it was the biggest bahtleh
    anyway i just wanted to state that muslim women shouldnt hug or kiss eachother infront of non maharam men this is actually harram and it is a hard thing to break as i know walking in the streets siters do come with their arms out to hug you and you dont want to embarress them but once you do it one time it becomes easier to just say 'id love to hug you i have missed you so much but we should shake hands becuase when you greet a muslim and shake hands and then leave them and shake hands all your sins fall from when you first shook hands untill you left them'
    (if that made any sense my spellings shocking)
    its an actual hadith in riyad as-sahliheen in the section of greeting muslims
    i know with the sisters i see i shake their hands and hug them and kiss them normally one kiss right then left then right again but we make that mwah noise
    you will disscover its easier if you hug them first as you can kiss the cheek then the other one
    just dont go smaking them on the lips
    Allahu Akbar

pakistanis usually do a little hug thing with no kisses included and i cant imagine them doing any of this kissing. Just not in their blood.

I know a few Libyan's and they dont do it either.
    Soon shall We cast terror into the hearts of the Unbelievers, for that they joined companions with Allah, for which He had sent no authority: their abode will be the Fire: And evil is the home of the wrong-doers. - 3.151

Unexpected Transformation Metroid's Avatar

here we don't kiss but people hug each other shoulder to shoulder or somewhat similar to Pakistanis. kissing may be regarded as gay and that can get you fubar.
    I guess it depends on places.
    The number one reason you should adopt a black cat is because they are less likely to get adopted. I don't know the reason why

Yeah I met up with my saudi friend and man..I had to go through this period where everytime we met..we would be kissing each other but not literally.and my head would get lost. I got the hang of it towards the end..but oh my..have you guys ever banged your heads together? That really hurts you know..
    “The great Imam ash-Shafi’, he went to his teacher Waki`
    Complaining about the weakness of his memory.
    He told him, ‘abandon rebellion, for knowledge is a light
    And the light of Allah is not bestowed upon a rebel.”

This thread is funny

Quote Originally Posted by `asiya View Post
    yea i think everyone does it different. here we do one on any cheek, french do a kiss on each cheek, egyptians three on each cheek starting with the left, morroccons and algerians 4 air kisses, and bengalis sisters two kisses on the cheek ( only sometimes when i havent seen them for ages but thats probably jus them being polite , cos i kiss them first cos they dont come often and i miss them loads )
    My family only do it twice starting on the right, actually now im confused, is it the right? i dunno, you just do it naturally I find it embarassing when someone goes to do it 3 times and you move away thinking theyve finished!

Angry as I have to rewrite this again. It's just gone before I submit it I don't know why!

I think only Arab kiss!

I'll tell you about the Saudi style of kissing lol.

The norm is 2 kisses (cheek to cheek). You make sure that your cheek touches his/her cheek starting with the right cheek first then the left. No kiss sound!

If the person is a true friend then you press while kissing lol.

It can also go up to 6 kisses if you haven't seen him for a long time and he is a dear friend!

We kiss children lips to cheeks!

Some Egyptian kiss you near the lip..just 1 cm away from it lol and with a kiss sound!

I think our style is very nice but the western style is a bit weird! How come women kiss non-mahram men? I remmeber once when I was in Cambridge, a girl asked me "I'm leaving tomorrow, can I kiss you, please?" Well, I can't tell you the rest...

Lol?

I recently took an elderly Muslim gentleman (lebanese) to take a tour of our building prior to his closing ... he was so happy ... when we got back the the lobby, he held my arm like a woman would when her father "walked her down the aisle" at her wedding ... I was a bit taken aback but I was cool with it ...

His wife sent me lunch the next day ... I was out of the office but Cecille and Artie said it was delicious ...
    aww, i am sorry you missed the lunch, and i bet it was delicious.

regarding the way this gentlemen was holding your arm. in the society that we were raised in iggy, we always need to have our personal space, and you do not invade that personal space, we do not trust one another and we are suspicious of each other. why?

when i was new to Islam and my children were just toddlers, i remember meeting my husbands moroccan friends for the first time. they all picked up my children and my first response was WHOAAA, hold on here, who are these strangers kissing and holding my babies!? this is because we are raised up in a society of child molesters, rapists, criminals.

in the muslim world people are more trusting of one another as these immoral behaviors are not as widespread. there is nothing wrong with a man hugging his friend, we should not have to be suspicious of homosexuality, and its polite to kiss another persons baby, shows you have compassion. and its also very beautiful to walk arm and arm with the older people, muslims kiss the elderly on the hand or head. it shows them respect

sure, the muslim world has its flaws but i am not saying the muslim world is perfect...but Islam is..

aww, i am sorry you missed the lunch, and i bet it was delicious.

regarding the way this gentlemen was holding your arm. in the society that we were raised in iggy, we always need to have our personal space, and you do not invade that personal space, we do not trust one another and we are suspicious of each other. why?

when i was new to Islam and my children were just toddlers, i remember meeting my husbands moroccan friends for the first time. they all picked up my children and my first response was WHOAAA, hold on here, who are these strangers kissing and holding my babies!? this is because we are raised up in a society of child molesters, rapists, criminals.

in the muslim world people are more trusting of one another as these immoral behaviors are not as widespread. there is nothing wrong with a man hugging his friend, we should not have to be suspicious of homosexuality, and its polite to kiss another persons baby, shows you have compassion. and its also very beautiful to walk arm and arm with the older people, muslims kiss the elderly on the hand or head. it shows them respect

sure, the muslim world has its flaws but i am not saying the muslim world is perfect...but Islam is..
    You are very right.
    In egypt you see young guys linking arms whilst walking & hugging, cheek kissing. Its normal!

Tahiyah, look at your silly president.

Kissing the Chinese president's wife during the former's visit to US.

But in the second visit, you can see the Chinese president has taken cautious measure.

Attached Images Attached Images

Well you shake their right hand with yours, and also lightly press your right cheek against their right cheek (peck if you want to ) - then do the same for the left.

Some people just make puckering kissy noises, but dont actually plant a kiss on the individuals cheek ("air kiss")
    You are not aware of the consequences that would result (if you were granted what you desire) because what you seek might be to your detriment. (O soul) be conscious that your Master is more aware about your well-being than you are.

~Ibn Al-Jawzee

Quote Originally Posted by Morris View Post
    lol

haha yes that's the one just mwah mwah lol

Quote Originally Posted by GAL-actic View Post
    haha yes that's the one just mwah mwah lol

I heard it was sunnah to do it 3 times? Never seen any evidence for it though.

Tahiyah, look at your silly president.

Kissing the Chinese president's wife during the former's visit to US.

But in the second visit, you can see the Chinese president has taken cautious measure.

Lol man I can't imagine some brother comin and kissing me, I would definitely do a man hug but kiss no :P

lol. I'll kiss a Buzurg/Ustad on the right shoulder or hand, never done this air-kiss thing yet.