Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Ads by Muslim Ad Network

what does 'Ameen' mean?

whats the literal meaning of the word ameen?

jazakallah
    muslim sister

Re: what does 'Ameen' mean?

it can be many things
    Verily", "Truly", "So be it", and "Let it be"."I agree," or "Well said."[

ameen means "please accept"
    For The Non-Muslims:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlMBkJme8J4The ProphetSAW sed, "(There are2words which R dear 2 the most gracious (Allah SWT)&very easy4the tongue2say but very heavy in the balance.They are:Subhan Allahi Wa Bihamdihi - Subhan Allahil-Azim.Islam- Why Pay For The Disease,When The Cure Is Free

Wallaahu khayrul Makireen

I Agree
    “Take Aqeedah from the Salaf, learn Adab from the Tableeghi Jamaat, and brotherhood from the Ikhwaan"

The word Ameen has 3 meaning:
    1. I am conscious about what I doa to you Allah
    2. I will take responsibility and sincere action according to what I just doa
    3. I have faith that Allah will protect and guide me to accomplish my goals.

This is when in the old time of prophet Mhd saw the non Muslims were afraid hearing this Ameen in war time as they knew that this spirit of the soldiers was unbeatable.

Quote Originally Posted by SharifVDB View Post
    The word Ameen has 3 meaning:
    1. I am conscious about what I doa to you Allah
    2. I will take responsibility and sincere action according to what I just doa
    3. I have faith that Allah will protect and guide me to accomplish my goals.

This is when in the old time of prophet Mhd saw the non Muslims were afraid hearing this Ameen in war time as they knew that this spirit of the soldiers was unbeatable.
    Ameen is not an Arabic word, it doesn't mean anything in Arabic, in Greek it means "I agree".

Originally it was used by Jews and Christians from where we as Muslims have borrowed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarahuzi View Post
    Ameen is not an Arabic word, it doesn't mean anything in Arabic, in Greek it means "I agree".

Originally it was used by Jews and Christians from where we as Muslims have borrowed it.
    Ameen comes from the word Aamana which basically means "truly" or some form of acceptance.

It is a root shared by other languages hence was also used by the Jewish and Christian people.
    If you have any questions feel free to PM me!

Humililty, Sincerity, and the quest for Truth. There is no purpose in life but to seek the pleasure of Allah.
    There is a possibility of a female using this account as well!

I was actually wondering what Ameen meant the other day.

Odan

Was told it was "May Allah make it so", which is consistent with its use. Other meanings also fit.

Meaning & Derivation of Aameen ( āmīn / آمين‎ )

Scholars are divided over the source of the word Aameen.

•Some say it is the abbreviation of the word Allaahummastajib lana which means
    Oh Allah accept our invocation
    or
    O Allah, respond to, (or answer) what we have said.

•Other scholars say it is derived from the word Āmana (Arabic: آمن‎) which means So be it

"I agree" is the only offered meaning that makes no sense. As in:

"Oh Allah make us not of those who earn your wrath" then we say "I agree". Makes no sense.
    By Him in whose Hand is the Soul of Muhammad, there is not one from the nations of the Jews and the Christians who hears about me and then dies while he has not believed in what I have been sent with except that he will be one of the companions of the Fire”. (Reported by Muslim in kitaabul Imaan)
    www.treasureofthescholars.wordpress.com