PDA

View Full Version : Islam Q&A: Why Insurance is Haram

K@M
06-03-06, 08:59 PM
:start:

:salams

inshaAllah the beggining of a series of topics I will post on common questions posed by Muslims, not the usual basics but the more fiqh related questions that pop up here and there. All answers taken from Islam Q&A, may Allah reward them for thier efforts

WHY INSURANCE IS FORBIDDEN

====================================

Question :

What are the rulings on commercial insurance which is widespread nowadays? Answer :

Praise be to Allaah.
1) All kinds of commercial insurance are clearly and undoubtedly ribaa (interest/usury). Insurance is the sale of money for money, of a greater or lesser amount, with a delay in one of the payments. It involves riba al-fadl (interest-based transaction) and riba al-nas’ (interest to be charged if payment is delayed beyond the due date), because the insurance companies take people’s money and promise to pay them more or less money when a specific accident against which insurance has been taken out happens. This is riba, and riba is forbidden in the Qur’aan, in many aayaat.

2) All kinds of commercial insurance are based on nothing but gambling which is haraam according to the Qur’aan:
“O you who believe! Intoxicants (all kinds of alcoholic drinks), and gambling, and Al-Ansaab (stone altars for sacrifice to idols etc.) and Al-Azlaam (arrows for seeking luck or decision) are an abomination of Shaytaan’s (Satan’s) handiwork. So avoid (strictly all) that (abomination) in order that you may be successful” (al-Maa’idah 5:90 – interpretation of the meaning).
All kinds of insurance are kinds of playing with chances. They tell you, Pay this much money, then if this happens to you we will give you this much. This is pure gambling. Insisting on differentiating between insurance and gambling is pure stubbornness that is unacceptable to any sound mind. The insurance companies themselves admit that insurance is gambling.

3) All kinds of insurance are forms of uncertainty, and transactions which involve uncertainty are forbidden according to many saheeh ahaadeeth, such as the hadeeth narrated by Abu Hurayrah (may Allaah be pleased with him):

“The Messenger of Allaah http://63.175.194.25/images/saws.gif (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) forbade transactions determined by throwing a stone and transactions which involved some uncertainty.” (Narrated by Muslim).

[“Transactions determined by throwing a stone” – this was a type of transaction that was prevalent in the markets of pre-Islamic Arabia, whereby a stone was thrown by either the buyer or the seller, and whatever it touched, its transaction became binding. “Transactions which involved some uncertainty” – is a transaction in which there is no guarantee that the seller can deliver the goods for which he receives payment. Footnotes from the translation of Saheeh Muslim. (Translator)].

All forms of commercial insurance are based on uncertainty of the most extreme kind. Insurance companies and those who sell insurance refuse to insure cases except where there is clear uncertainty in whether or not the condition being insured against will happen or not. In other words, the condition being insured against must have a possibility of happening or not happening (as opposed to, for example, someone who has a pre-existing condition, such as a person who is on death row applying for life insurance--translator.) Moreover, this transaction involves something uncertain, which is when an accident will happen and the extent of the damage caused. Hence insurance combines three kinds of extreme uncertainty.

4) All kinds of commercial insurance consume people’s wealth unjustly, which is haraam according to the Qur’aan:

“O you who believe! Eat not up your property among yourselves unjustly” (al-Nisaa’ 4:29 – interpretation of the meaning).

All forms of commercial insurance are fraudulent transactions aimed at consuming people’s wealth unjustly. The precise statistics calculated by one of the German experts state that what people get back of what has been taken from them is no more than 2.9%.

Insurance is an immense loss for the nation, and there is no evidence or excuse to be found in the actions of the kuffaar who have lost the ties of kinship and friendship and are therefore forced to resort to insurance, which they hate as much as they hate death.

These are only some of the violations of sharee’ah which insurance is essentially based upon. There are numerous other violations which we do not have room to mention here, and there is no need to do so, because just one of the violations which we have mentioned above is sufficient to make insurance one of the things which is most prohibited in the sharee’ah of Allaah.

It is a shame that some people are deceived by the ways in which the insurance companies make insurance attractive and confuse them by calling it “co-operative” or “mutual support” or “Islamic”, or other names which do not change the unjust nature of insurance in the slightest.

The insurance companies’ claim that the ‘ulamaa’ have issued fatwaas stating that so-called “co-operative insurance” is halaal, is a lie. The reason for this confusion is that some insurance companies approached the ‘ulamaa’ with a deceitful set-up which has nothing to do with any kind of insurance, but they said that it was a kind of insurance which they called “co-operative insurance” (to make it sound attractive and to confuse the people). They said that it was purely in the nature of a donation, and that it was a kind of the co-operation enjoined by Allaah in the aayah (interpretation of the meaning): “Help you one another in Al-Birr and At-Taqwa (virtue, righteousness and piety)…” (al-Maa’idah 5:2), and that the aim was to co-operate in alleviating the overwhelming disasters that may befall people. But in fact what they called co-operative insurance was just like any other kind of insurance; the only difference was in the way in which it was set up, not in its essential nature. It was far from being any kind of simple donation or co-operation in righteousness and piety; in fact it is a kind of co-operation in sin and transgression. It was not aimed at helping to relieve the distress of calamities, but at depriving people of their wealth by unjust means, which is absolutely haraam, as are other kinds of insurance. Hence what they proposed to the ‘ulamaa’ is not even insurance at all.

With regard to the claim made by some, that part of the premium (money paid to the insurer) is returned, this does not change anything and does not free insurance from the taint of ribaa, gambling, transactions based on uncertainty, unjust consumption of people’s wealth and going against the principle of trusting in Allaah (tawakkul), and other kinds of haraam actions. Insurance is deceit and confusion. Anyone who wishes to learn more should refer to the essay al-Ta’meen wa Ahkaamuhu (Insurance and its rulings). I call on every Muslim who has pride in his religion and whose hopes are focused on Allaah and the Last Day to fear Allaah and to avoid all kinds of insurance, no matter how attractive their proponents make them, for they are undoubtedly forbidden. In this manner he will protect his religion and his wealth, and he will be blessed with security from the Owner of security, may He be exalted.

May Allaah help me and you to have insight into matters of religion and to do that which is pleasing to the Lord of the Worlds.

|zdihaar
07-03-06, 10:11 AM
Assalaaumu Alaikum

Jazaak Allahu Kheriun for the information. I decided not to re-insure my car BEFORE reading your post, as i sensed it was not halaal. Thankz for boosting the confidence in my decision and extending my knowledge in this area. Many people do not have insurance whether they can afford it or not. It's not really a necessity, life goes on and then it will end [at least in this dunya].

Al-ghurabah
07-03-06, 10:17 AM
jazakallah khair brother. very good post. mashallah.

insurance is indeed haram. as its gambling as well as invalid contract based on what if and if it happens.

unfortunatly musli s today justify anyhting by saying we have to . or else etc. islam is islam no need to change it.

PaGaL~LaDo0
07-03-06, 04:27 PM
i trt u hda ave insrnce 0n ur cr :S?

History
07-03-06, 05:20 PM
In what manner, therefore, do Muslims protect themselves, their families, their property--and that of others which they unitnentionally harm?

Automobile insurance protects the owner/driver, the passengers, the vehicle (and any loss of potential livlihood from being without the vehicle), and anyone the driver/vehicle harms in an accident.
In my state, automoble insurance is mandatory--one cannot drive an uninsured vehicle.
Muslims in my state dirvie and own insurance--by law.

Health insurance, life insurance, disability insurance, home insurance also assures that oneself and/or one's family are protected from adverse events--permitting a longer and healthier life, permitting income to one's family in the event of one's early death or inability to work, preventing homelessness etc.

To not provide protection for oneself, one's family, one's neighbors against the costs of injury, poverty, illness, homelessness, etc. is impudent, imho.

Respectfully,
History

07-03-06, 05:24 PM
In the UK, it's illegal to drive without insurance. Heck, you can't even pass your test if you don't have insurance. If you drive without a licence then that's illegal...how can that be halal...

Muslims can't drive in UK then?

Salman Al-Farsi
07-03-06, 05:30 PM
Muslims believe in:

Ajl MinAllah (death is from Allah)
Rizq minAllah (provisions are from Allah)
Tawakkul minAllah. (We must trust Allah)

All of these are fixed by Allah Tala, so whether one gets insurance or not really doesnt matter.

MWarrior
07-03-06, 05:53 PM
so does that mean all the muslims in the UK who drive dont have a insurance ? (its illegal to drive without one)

K@M
07-03-06, 07:39 PM
Heck, you can't even pass your test if you don't have insurance.

Muslims can't drive in UK then?

What country you in mate? I passed alhamdulilah and I dont have insurance (cos I dont have a car yet).

Mace
07-03-06, 08:47 PM
This is interesting. I was always taught that the prohibition on gambling was for the very practical reason that gambling can be addictive, destructive, and ruinous. (Kind of like alcohol or drugs).

But insurance seems to be the opposite. It seems to me that driving around without any insurance or having a home without insurance is taking a major gamble. Or not having disability insurance in case you can't work for a while is taking a major gamble with your children's lives.

Or am I missing something?

K@M
07-03-06, 10:39 PM
But insurance seems to be the opposite. It seems to me that driving around without any insurance or having a home without insurance is taking a major gamble. Or not having disability insurance in case you can't work for a while is taking a major gamble with your children's lives.

Or am I missing something?
By having insurace you are gambling, you're gambling theres a CHANCE that you could crash/house could burn/POSSIBLE damage etc. Putting your trust in Allah SWT and being content with whatever Allah wills is not gambling. Theres no risk.

Apart from the fact its gambling, the main thing is, it deals with interest and Allah wages war on those who deal with interest.

Mace
07-03-06, 11:00 PM
By having insurace you are gambling, you're gambling theres a CHANCE that you could crash/house could burn/POSSIBLE damage etc. Putting your trust in Allah SWT and being content with whatever Allah wills is not gambling. Theres no risk.

Apart from the fact its gambling, the main thing is, it deals with interest and Allah wages war on those who deal with interest.

Well I guess I can understand your perspective. So even if you owned a business you wouldn't protect your employees and their families with insurance? (I guess not)

But if you live in a country/state/province where you are required to have auto insurance, that I assume is allowed? Or if you have a mortgage which requires you to maintain home insurance? Or if you have a contract or client who requires you to maintain professional liability insurance? Or if you are a physician or other professional who is required to maintain professional liability insurance to maintain your license?

I would assume those cases are allowed? Because it's not like you have a choice.

Mace
07-03-06, 11:03 PM
Sort of related question:

In a caliphate would insurance be prohibited?

What about professional liability? Is there a concept of professional malpractice in a caliphate?

PaGaL~LaDo0
07-03-06, 11:43 PM
What country you in mate? I passed alhamdulilah and I dont have insurance (cos I dont have a car yet).

lo00oo0ol s0ri i fnd d@ funi dun0 y :D

.: Jannati :.
08-03-06, 12:11 AM
lo00oo0ol s0ri i fnd d@ funi dun0 y :D

:salams

lol me 2 :p ..Subhan'Allah..

Jazaak Allahu Khair Akhi for the excellent post!

May Allah (swt) indeed reward you Ameen! :)

:wswrwb:

14-03-06, 05:58 PM
Wasn't the car you passed in insured? Even if you didn't insure it, you're still getting involved in it, or is this different...

Bridget
14-03-06, 06:56 PM
So part of what I pay for car insurance is to cover me in case I get whacked by one of these entirely selfish uninsured motorists?

I protest. Loudly.

Te'oma
15-03-06, 07:05 AM
Here in BC insurance is mandatory if you want to drive and with the distances involved in living here you have to have an automobile(no mass transit in most places and only very rudimentary in the towns)
Also when you pay for mass transit, you can bet that you are paying for insurance premiums too so that would be prohibited as well.

MG
15-03-06, 08:25 AM
insurance is part of the Dajjal SYSTEM and is a way to make money on peoples FEARS

15-03-06, 06:05 PM
I really don't understand, sorry. Someone says it doesn't matter if you have insurance or not (maybe I misunderstood the post), some say they've passed but have no car.

The ones who say it is absolutely haram...do you have a car/do you drive?

15-03-06, 07:48 PM

15-03-06, 10:15 PM
I would appreciate some answers...

I'll bump as often as necessary. ;)

pumpkin
16-03-06, 12:03 AM
So, How fair is it if an uninsured driver loses control of his or her car, hits and disables another person, making them unable to work and in need of thousands of dollars in medical bills. So, lets say the uninsured person has no assets. How can you think that is fair- when a simple insurance policy can make that possibilty redundant?

Te'oma
16-03-06, 12:46 AM
So, How fair is it if an uninsured driver loses control of his or her car, hits and disables another person, making them unable to work and in need of thousands of dollars in medical bills. So, lets say the uninsured person has no assets. How can you think that is fair- when a simple insurance policy can make that possibilty redundant?

Here in Canada we have health care to cover those bills :D...oh wait...that's another insurance :(

pumpkin
16-03-06, 01:29 AM
This is ridiculous, insurance is just a way of making sure that an unforseen event does not mean bancruptcy and saves people from a lot of heart ache.

VoiceoftheWest
16-03-06, 01:41 AM
I think the only reason Muslims say that insurance is haram is because it is a "Western" practice, and Muslims seem to go to extremes just to avoid these so called "develish, western ways of life."

16-03-06, 11:30 AM
I think the only reason Muslims say that insurance is haram is because it is a "Western" practice, and Muslims seem to go to extremes just to avoid these so called "develish, western ways of life."
No. That's incorrect (as already mentioned). However, it is mandatory in the UK to have at least third party insurance. Which is why I would really like some replies from Muslims. Do they not drive over here...

anyone?

Al-ghurabah
16-03-06, 11:37 AM
No. That's incorrect (as already mentioned). However, it is mandatory in the UK to have at least third party insurance. Which is why I would really like some replies from Muslims. Do they not drive over here...

anyone?

insurance is haram not because its western idea that is a joke. its haram as the post says. its based of IF... its like gambling. if there is a ccident... also the contract is between 3 parties which is not allowed in islam..

so issue is with the fact its based on something which may happen and the contract

ThE aPpReNtIcE
16-03-06, 11:42 AM
actually in the states..u need to have insurance to have a car..lol..and health insurance i dont kno how it is in the UK..but docs are very expensive here if u dont have health insurance

16-03-06, 11:45 AM
.........double post

16-03-06, 11:46 AM
insurance is haram not because its western idea that is a joke. its haram as the post says. its based of IF... its like gambling. if there is a ccident... also the contract is between 3 parties which is not allowed in islam..

so issue is with the fact its based on something which may happen and the contract
Do you drive/are you planning on driving here? Does anyone in your family? That's what I mean. I understand the gambling issue.

Look at the last paragraph...

---------------

By Justice Mufti Taqi Usmani
Q.) "Is car insurance permissible? The photo-copy of an article published in "Arab News" is enclosed wherein it is held that car insurance is perfectly permissible and it is not against the concept of "Tawakkul" or "Taqdeer". Please explain whether or not this viewpoint is correct in Shari'ah." (Mansoor Qadri, Jeddah)
A.) I have gone through the enclosed article, and I am sorry to say that the viewpoint mentioned therein does not reflect the correct position of insurance according to the principles of Shari'ah as recognized by the overwhelming majority of the contemporary jurists.

In fact, all forms of the commercial Insurance prevalent in the traditional Insurance companies are against the Islamic principles because they have either an element of riba or the element of qimar or gharar.

The basic cause of the impermissibility of the current methods of insurance is not that the insurance is against the concept of tawakul or taqdeer, it is rightly mentioned in the article of "Arab News" that taking a precautionary measure against a possible loss or seeking a safe-guard against an accident does in no way contravene the concept of "Tawakkul" (placing one's trust in Allah) and of "Taqdeer" (Allah's will and destiny).

However, like any other act in this life, every measure of precaution must conform to the principles of Shari'ah and should not in any manner cross the limits prescribed by the Holy Qur'an and Sunnah.

It is a well settled principle of Shari'ah that every transaction between two parties in which the payment by one party to the other is certain and mandatory while payment by the other party depends upon a contingency (which may or may not occur) is included in qimar and gharar and is, therefore, unlawful.

The insurance of cars or other goods with the traditional Insurance Companies is a commercial transaction in which the person who wants to insure his goods is bound to pay a premium to the company in accordance with the prescribed conditions. This payment is certain and mandatory without which an insurance is not possible. But on the other hand, the payment by the company is not certain. It is contingent upon an event or accident which may or may not occur. If the accident takes place, the company is bound to pay an amount far more higher than the amount of the premium paid by the insured, but if the accident does not take place, the company does not pay to him anything and the premium paid by him goes without any return. In other words, the insured is bound to pay in any case while the company may or may not pay. Such kind of transaction is termed as gharar and Qimar and is strictly prohibited in Shari'ah.

Moreover, if the accident takes place, the amount of insurance is paid to the insured as a consideration of the amount of premium. It is again repugnant to the well-settled principle of Shari'ah that where money is exchanged for money, both the amounts should be equal in quantity. Any increase on either side is 'riba' which is clearly prohibited by the Holy Qur'an and Sunnah.

It is for these reasons that all the prevalent forms of commercial insurance have been held by the majority of the contemporary Muslim jurists as prohibited. This subject has been thoroughly discussed in different international seminars and conferences. Lastly, the question was also put before the Second Annual Session of the Islamic Fiqh Academy (established by the OIC) in Jeddah where all the Muslim countries were represented through their eminent scholars. After a detailed discussion of the subject, the Academy has adopted the unanimous resolution that the prevailing forms of insurance are prohibited in Shari'ah. However, the Muslim countries can develop their own system of insurance through the concept of takaful, waqf etc.

However, it should be remembered that since third party insurance is a mandatory legal requirement for every car-owner, he can effect this kind of insurance, because it is not possible for him to avoid it.

Article taken (with Thanks) from Albalagh.net

Mr_Jailer
16-03-06, 11:49 AM
If you get stopped by Police requestin' if you have car insurance and you don't, what do you tell them?

Al-ghurabah
16-03-06, 11:50 AM
Do you drive/are you planning on driving here? Does anyone in your family? That's what I mean. I understand the gambling issue.

Look at the last paragraph...

---------------

By Justice Mufti Taqi Usmani
Q.) "Is car insurance permissible? The photo-copy of an article published in "Arab News" is enclosed wherein it is held that car insurance is perfectly permissible and it is not against the concept of "Tawakkul" or "Taqdeer". Please explain whether or not this viewpoint is correct in Shari'ah." (Mansoor Qadri, Jeddah)
A.) I have gone through the enclosed article, and I am sorry to say that the viewpoint mentioned therein does not reflect the correct position of insurance according to the principles of Shari'ah as recognized by the overwhelming majority of the contemporary jurists.

In fact, all forms of the commercial Insurance prevalent in the traditional Insurance companies are against the Islamic principles because they have either an element of riba or the element of qimar or gharar.

The basic cause of the impermissibility of the current methods of insurance is not that the insurance is against the concept of tawakul or taqdeer, it is rightly mentioned in the article of "Arab News" that taking a precautionary measure against a possible loss or seeking a safe-guard against an accident does in no way contravene the concept of "Tawakkul" (placing one's trust in Allah) and of "Taqdeer" (Allah's will and destiny).

However, like any other act in this life, every measure of precaution must conform to the principles of Shari'ah and should not in any manner cross the limits prescribed by the Holy Qur'an and Sunnah.

It is a well settled principle of Shari'ah that every transaction between two parties in which the payment by one party to the other is certain and mandatory while payment by the other party depends upon a contingency (which may or may not occur) is included in qimar and gharar and is, therefore, unlawful.

The insurance of cars or other goods with the traditional Insurance Companies is a commercial transaction in which the person who wants to insure his goods is bound to pay a premium to the company in accordance with the prescribed conditions. This payment is certain and mandatory without which an insurance is not possible. But on the other hand, the payment by the company is not certain. It is contingent upon an event or accident which may or may not occur. If the accident takes place, the company is bound to pay an amount far more higher than the amount of the premium paid by the insured, but if the accident does not take place, the company does not pay to him anything and the premium paid by him goes without any return. In other words, the insured is bound to pay in any case while the company may or may not pay. Such kind of transaction is termed as gharar and Qimar and is strictly prohibited in Shari'ah.

Moreover, if the accident takes place, the amount of insurance is paid to the insured as a consideration of the amount of premium. It is again repugnant to the well-settled principle of Shari'ah that where money is exchanged for money, both the amounts should be equal in quantity. Any increase on either side is 'riba' which is clearly prohibited by the Holy Qur'an and Sunnah.

It is for these reasons that all the prevalent forms of commercial insurance have been held by the majority of the contemporary Muslim jurists as prohibited. This subject has been thoroughly discussed in different international seminars and conferences. Lastly, the question was also put before the Second Annual Session of the Islamic Fiqh Academy (established by the OIC) in Jeddah where all the Muslim countries were represented through their eminent scholars. After a detailed discussion of the subject, the Academy has adopted the unanimous resolution that the prevailing forms of insurance are prohibited in Shari'ah. However, the Muslim countries can develop their own system of insurance through the concept of takaful, waqf etc.

However, it should be remembered that since third party insurance is a mandatory legal requirement for every car-owner, he can effect this kind of insurance, because it is not possible for him to avoid it.

Article taken (with Thanks) from Albalagh.net

well the guy just said its not allowed BUT since its the countries law you have to have it.

question now is. if its haram from islam. can we have it cos uk/us law says its a must..

this is big issue for the muslim. when the two laws come into confrontation which will you choose. the law of man or the law of allah..

you can use bus/ train/ cycle. taxis.. there are other means....

pumpkin
16-03-06, 11:51 AM
well, if you are all so against insurance, then when you have compulsory insurance and have an accident, you dont have to claim- you can sell up everything you own, work 3 jobs and starve the kids to pay for it instead. Does that make sense?

16-03-06, 11:53 AM
well the guy just said its not allowed BUT since its the countries law you have to have it.

question now is. if its haram from islam. can we have it cos uk/us law says its a must..

this is big issue for the muslim. when the two laws come into confrontation which will you choose. the law of man or the law of allah..

you can use bus/ train/ cycle. taxis.. there are other means....
Yeah. That's what I was getting at. But wouldn't getting involved in this insurance thing in any way be bad. i.e. sitting in a taxi. I know this is taking it a bit far - but generally we're meant to avoid things which are haram i.e. stay as far away as possible....

Breaking laws of the country is breaking one of the laws of Allah swt isn't it...i.e. to respect them...

So do you plan on driving here in UK (sincere question)...

16-03-06, 11:54 AM
well, if you are all so against insurance, then when you have compulsory insurance and have an accident, you dont have to claim- you can sell up everything you own, work 3 jobs and starve the kids to pay for it instead. Does that make sense?
I think you may have completely missed the point. Driving in the UK without it is illegal. That in itself is haram.

Al-ghurabah
16-03-06, 11:57 AM
Yeah. That's what I was getting at. But wouldn't getting involved in this insurance thing in any way be bad. i.e. sitting in a taxi. I know this is taking it a bit far - but generally we're meant to avoid things which are haram i.e. stay as far away as possible....

Breaking laws of the country is breaking one of the laws of Allah swt isn't it...i.e. to respect them...

So do you plan on driving here in UK (sincere question)...

breaking law os country is breaking law of allah...

where did you get that from...

also what if the uk law says you cannot pray anymore. or youl get arrested. are we supposed toall stop praying. obey there laws. problem arises where you have contradictions in the laws.

some scholars try to compromise and say well its UK/USA law therefore its ok..
but is this what you will asnwer to allah. it was uk law so i had to do it. even though it broke islamic law..

16-03-06, 12:05 PM
breaking law os country is breaking law of allah...

where did you get that from...

also what if the uk law says you cannot pray anymore. or youl get arrested. are we supposed toall stop praying. obey there laws. problem arises where you have contradictions in the laws.

some scholars try to compromise and say well its UK/USA law therefore its ok..
but is this what you will asnwer to allah. it was uk law so i had to do it. even though it broke islamic law..
No chance of that happening. How would they check up on everyone. That would be a pointless law. That's a silly analogy.

If it happened, go to a Muslim country. But even there I have a feeling there is insurance...

To respect the authorities is obvious. It's in the Qur'an. As citizens we all have a responsibility to abide by the laws here. A contract so to speak. You know what the Qur'an says about contracts - don't break them.

so are you planning to drive here....(still haven't answered)

pumpkin
16-03-06, 12:06 PM
Ok, let me put it this way- You drive a car that you did not know had insurance- say, a friends car. You have a accident, when you tell your friend, she says- "don't worry, I have insurance". As a matter of principle- all you people who think its haram to have insurance- would you refuse to claim and therefore have to pay all the money yourself- which could be hundreds of thousands of dollars? maybe mean you have to sell everything you own?

Al-ghurabah
16-03-06, 12:07 PM
No chance of that happening. How would they check up on everyone. That would be a pointless law. That's a silly analogy.

If it happened, go to a Muslim country. But even there I have a feeling there is insurance...

To respect the authorities is obvious. It's in the Qur'an. As citizens we all have a responsibility to abide by the laws here. A contract so to speak. You know what the Qur'an says about contracts - don't break them.

so are you planning to drive here....(still haven't answered)

brother like i said there are alternatives to driving. nothing wrng with walking. taking buses. or cycling. i enjoy walking. im happy. there are taxis also i have mates. who have cars.. so biggy..

where is it in the quran tat we must obey the law of the kuffar..

16-03-06, 12:12 PM
brother like i said there are alternatives to driving. nothing wrng with walking. taking buses. or cycling. i enjoy walking. im happy. there are taxis also i have mates. who have cars.. so biggy..

where is it in the quran tat we must obey the law of the kuffar..
Yep. There are alternatives. But I'm just wondering what everyone else does. Personally, I like the exercise, too.

To respect the authorities/those in power I'm sure is from the Qur'an. If I find the ayats I'll post it...unless someone else knows where it is. (I could be wrong though).

Amaara
06-09-07, 01:01 PM
BUMP

What about national insurance?..u need that to get a job...unless you look for a job in the factories n asian restaurants..

peace900
28-05-10, 12:08 PM
Salaam

I am a student in my summer holidays in the UK and I need a job to pay for my next years tuition fees. There is a vacancy that suits my needs in terms of location, pay and hours but it is working for a car insurance company selling car insurance policies etc? As you know it is compulsory to have car insurance in the UK.

My question is will it be haram for me to work for this organization? jobs are really hard to come by here in the uk and the company want to offer me an interview.

thanks

abdulwakil
28-05-10, 12:14 PM
Salaam

I am a student in my summer holidays in the UK and I need a job to pay for my next years tuition fees. There is a vacancy that suits my needs in terms of location, pay and hours but it is working for a car insurance company selling car insurance policies etc? As you know it is compulsory to have car insurance in the UK.

My question is will it be haram for me to work for this organization? jobs are really hard to come by here in the uk and the company want to offer me an interview.

thanks

you can either get your sustenance halal or haram

dont let excuses lead you astray, if you know that this is partaking in haram, its quite obvious what the answer is

may Allah make it easier for you

bibi1986
15-05-12, 09:45 PM
Salaams

This is a question from a sister who would like to know what is says in Islam.

Is it haraam to have life insurance to cover a mortage after death, she is a lone parent and doesn't want her children to have to deal with the financial burden of the mortage if she dies.

Shukria

Fairy
15-05-12, 09:53 PM
http://islamqa.info/en/ref/30740/life%20insurance

check islam Q and A ^ there is one, dont know if its the same as what your saying. is her mortgage the one with interest?

Thunder94
14-11-12, 07:48 PM
:salams:

I've heard that insurance is haram , is this true . If so can someone explain why ?

Abu 'Abdullaah
14-11-12, 07:50 PM
It's a system based on gambling and interest.

MoMo.
14-11-12, 07:55 PM
It's a system based on gambling and interest.

What about car insurance? Everyone drives a car, even the Imam of the Masajid.

~IMAN~
14-11-12, 07:56 PM
What about health insurance?

Thunder94
14-11-12, 07:57 PM

I have heard it is permissible based on necessity .

Does this mean its haram to work as an insurance agent?

And Abu abdallah , can you explain how insurance is considered gambling and interest ?

Abu 'Abdullaah
14-11-12, 08:40 PM
What about car insurance? Everyone drives a car, even the Imam of the Masajid.maslaha

-_-

Mikha’eel
14-11-12, 09:37 PM
you legally have to hve car insurance to be on the road....

MoMo.
14-11-12, 09:38 PM
you legally have to hve car insurance to be on the road....

I know that or else its like $5000 fine.

Mockingjay
04-09-14, 03:49 AM
Bump

Firecookies
04-09-14, 04:08 AM
What about car insurance?

Mockingjay
04-09-14, 04:29 AM

Islam isn't that difficult. If it's upon emergency that you have to take the insurance, then that would be fine. But if you can avoid it, best way is to avoid it. That's not a fatwa btw, just my personal opinion.

Alhamdulillah I live in a muslim country, so insurance is optional here.

Musbah
04-09-14, 10:58 AM

If the country that you live in forces you to have car, health, or any other kind of insurance then it becomes a tax and the moral responsibility rests on the legislator of that act.