PDA

View Full Version : Prophetic medicine

Al Qadr
25-01-07, 10:29 PM
Asalaamu Alaikum brothers and sisters :D

I wanted to make this thread, but insha'Allah will try to keep it as brief as poss, cos there is sooo much to cover and I dont wana get done for plaigarism :outta:

Ok 1st I am going to do the medicine thingies in Alphabet order starting with the letter Hamzah. (this will take time because it is 100 pages for the whole alphabet and I got uni next week :( ) and then I will like go over diseases like plague, dropsy, headache ect ect :) so have sabr and Insha'Allah hope this thread will benefit us all :up:

The two types of diseases that attack the heart are:

1) Doubt and error
2) Lust and desire

“In their hearts is a disease (of doubt and hypocrisy) and Allah has increased their disease” (2:10)

The Prophet Muhammad saw said:

“Every illness has a cure, and when the proper cure is applied to the disease, it ends it, Allah willing” Narrated by Muslim.

Imam Ahmed narrated that Usamah bin Shuraik said:

“I was with the Prophet saw when the Bedouins came to him and said ‘O messenger of Allah, should we seek medicine?’ He said, ‘Yes, O slaves of Allah seek medicine, for Allah has not created a disease except that he has also created its cure, except for one illness’ they said ‘And what is that? Prophet Muhammad saw said ‘Old age’

Al Qadr
25-01-07, 10:33 PM
The letter hamzah

1) Ithimid (Antimony)

This is the black kohl stone, the best type is found in Iran and which fragmentizes quickly and has shiny morsels.

Kohl is cold and dry and strengthens the eye and nerve system.
When blended with pure watery honey it relieves headache.
When ithimid is ground and mixed with tender fat and used as a dressing over fire burns, it prevents blisters from appearing and helps heal skin damage caused by fire.

2) Utrujj (Citron)

In Sahih hadith Prophet Muhammad :saw: said:

“The example of the believer who reads the Qur’an is the example of the Utrujj: its taste is delicious and taste is pleasant”

The peel refreshes decaying and polluted air, improves flavour in food.
Ashes of the peel are used as an effective ointment against leprosy, peels are used in bandages for snake bite.

3) Aruzz (Rice)

Rice is hot and dry. It’s the 2nd nutritious cereal after wheat.
It tightens the intestinal cavity and strengthens the stomach. It enriches the body, increases semen production and purifies the colour.

4) Arz (Pine)

Prophet Muhammad :saw: said:

“The example of the believer is the example of the green plant that twists, sometimes leaving it straight, sometimes bending it. The example of the hypocrite is the example of the Arz, it will be standing on its roots then all of a sudden is completely dry”

5) The Ith-khir (Lemon grass)

“Do not cut its plants. Except Al-Ith-Khir”
Sahih Hadith. This is what the prophet Muhammad :saw: said in Makkah about its plants.

Medievalist
25-01-07, 10:36 PM
Cupping is also a sunnah. :up:

Al Qadr
25-01-07, 10:52 PM
Cupping is also a sunnah. :up:

lol, yea I will get to that not sure when but insha'Allah

umm_huraiyrah
25-01-07, 11:31 PM
Yeah I think I've heard of cupping before in here. I'd like to try that but don't think there are many doctors here that know about cupping.

Habiba

Al Qadr
25-01-07, 11:35 PM
The letter Baa

1) Bittikh (watermelon)

Narrated by Abu Dawud and At-Tirmidhi:
The prophet Muhammad :saw: said:

“The hotness of this substance (dates) neutralizes the coolness of that (watermelon)”

2) Balah (Dates)

Dates are beneficial for the chest and lung because of their coarseness.

Aisha (ra) said that the messenger of Allah :saw: said

“Eat fresh dates with dried dates, because Satan gets sad when he sees the son of Adam eating them, so he says: ‘The son of Adam has lived until (now) he eats the frsh and the old together”

3) Busr (green dates)

In the sahih its narrated that when the Prophet :saw:, Abu Bakr, and Umar (ra) were guests of Abu Al-Haitham (ra) he brought them a cluster of dates, which is similar to a cluster of grapes. The Prophet Muhammad :saw: said:

“Why do you not choose some ripe dates for us”

Abu Al-Haitham (ra) replied “I wanted you to choose whatever you like of its green and ripeness”

4) Baydh (Eggs)

Fresh eggs are better than old eggs; chicken eggs are the best kind.

Egg yolk has 3 beneficial uses:
- turns into blood quickly
- does not produce extensive waste
- the blood it produces is light and similar to the blood that feeds the heart

5) Basal (onions)

Abu Dawud narrated in his sunan that Aisha ra was asked about basal and she said “The last meal that the prophet :saw: had inclided onions in it”

The sahihain also narrated that the Prophet Muhammad :saw: disallowed those who eat onions from entering the mosque.

Onion grains help against vitiate (lack of pigmentation in certain areas of the skin)
Warts will dissipate effectively when onions are blended with salt
Used as ear drops, onion extract also helps against weak hearing
Cooked onions help against icterus, jaundice, coughing and roughness in chest

Onions also cause migranes, headaches, flatulence and bring darkness to the sight.

6) Bathinjan (Eggplant)

Eggplants can cause black bile, piles, clogs, cancer, leprosy. Eggplants also spoil ones colour, and cause bad breath. White eggplants do not have these side effects

.: Anna :.
26-01-07, 01:02 AM
I think this is from the same book of prophetic medicine which we got at home. my inlaws r like an expert in this stuff masha allah :up:

muslim_sis
26-01-07, 01:17 AM
I think this is from the same book of prophetic medicine which we got at home. my inlaws r like an expert in this stuff masha allah :up:
ah cool mashallah
good thread btw al qadr!! jazakillah .

Al Qadr
26-01-07, 07:49 AM
The letter Taa

1) Tamr (dried dates)

Sahih Hadith narrates that the prophet :saw: said:

“Whoever ate seven dates in the morning from the area of ‘Aaliyah will not be harmed by poison or magic for the rest of that day”

He also said:

“The people of a house where there are no dates are hungry”

Dried dates
- Reinforce the liver,
- Boost semen production,
- Relieve sore throat when taken with pine
- Those not used to dried dates may harm their teeth and cause headaches unless eaten with almonds and poppy
- They are one of the most nutritious
- Can help kill worms when eaten at beginning of the day

2) Tin (figs)

- White figs are the most excellent as they are ripe and cleanse out sand accumulated in the liver and prostrate

3) Tharid (Meat & Bread dish)

In the Sahihain it states that the messenger of Allah :saw: said:

“The virtue of Aisha as compared to other women, is like the virtue of Tharid as compared to the rest of foods”

Tharid is composed of some bread which is the best food and meat which provides the best flavouring. The meat resembles the true spirit of the human body more than any other food. It is also a food of the people of Jannah.

alld
26-01-07, 07:52 AM
Great thread mashaallah :up:
I just like to read such stuff on and on .:)

Al Qadr
26-01-07, 08:01 AM
The letter Jeem

1) Jummar (Palm Pith)

In the Sahihain it is narrated that ‘Abdullah bin Umar said “while we were sitting with the Messenger of Allah :saw: he was brought a jummar of the date tree. The Prophet :saw: said:

“There is a tree that resembles the Muslim as its leaves never fall”

2) Jubn (Cheese)

In Sunan of Abu Dwud it is narrated that Abdullah bin Umar said the the Prophet :saw: was bought some cheese while in an area of Tbauk and that he asked for a knife, mentioned Allah’s name and cut it.

Unsalted cheese is good for stomach and organs, produces flesh and relaxes the stomach.
Salted cheese has little nutrition.

Salted cheese makes the body weak and causes liver stones and prostrate.

Al Qadr
26-01-07, 01:15 PM
The letter Haa

1) Habbah Sawdaa (The Black Seed)

Narrated bu Abu Hurairah, the Prophet Muhammad :saw: said

“Use the black seed, because it contains a cure for every type of disease, except for death”

Black seed helps against colds
Helps body absorb medicine more quickly when taken in small quanities

Black seed oil helps against snake bites, haemorrhoids and spots.
When around 25 grams of it is drunk with water it will help against gasping and hard breathing.

When black seeds are cooked in vinegar and you rinse your mouth with it it relieves toothache from cold sensitivity.

When used in a bandage while blended with vinegar, it heals spots and exposed skin ulcers 

Black seed oil can help against facial paralysis

(For other benefits buy black seed oil and they should give u a leaflet on its benefits :p )

2) Harir (Silk)

Prophet Muhammad :saw: allowed Az-Zubayr and Abdur-Rahman bin ‘Awf to wear silk because of a rash they suffered from.

3) Hurf (Cress)

Prophet Muhammad :saw: was reported to have said

“What a cure do the two bitter remedies carry: the Thuffaa and aloe”

It heats and relaxes the stomach
Decomposes spleen tumours
Excites sexual drive
Heals ulcers of mange and herpes

When used as a bandage with honey it decomposes spleen tumours
When it is burned its smoke repulses venomous beasts and also prevents hair from falling.
When crushed and taken with warm water, it is a laxative.
Also helps against leprosy when crushed and used as a drink.

4) ‘Hulbah (Fenugreek)

The Prophet :saw: was reported to have visited Sa’d ibn Abi Waqqas when he was ill in Makkah and he asked for a doctor to examine him. They brought Al-Harith bin Kaladah who examined him and said “There is no harm with him, just cook some fenugreek with dates and let him eat them” Sa’d was reported to have done that and was healed.

Cooked in water, fenugreek softens the throat, chest and stomach area.
It also relieves coughing, dryness, asthma hard breathing and increases sexual drive. It dissolves phlegm from the chest.

A woman who suffers from pain in the vagina due to a tumour will benefit if she sits in water where fenugreek was cooked.

‘Hulbah also relieves urine retention and works as a laxative.

Al Qadr
26-01-07, 08:29 PM
The letter Khaa

1) Khubz (Bread)

In the Sahih it is narrated that the Prophet :saw: said:

“On the day of resurrection, the earth will look like one piece of bread which the most mighty would prepare with his hand as a residence for the people of Paradise”

The most nutritious type of bread is semolina bread because it digests slowly.

The best time to eat bread is in the last part of the day when it is baked. Soft bread is lighter, more nutritious, humidifying and digests faster.

2) Khall (Vinegar)

Muslim narrated that Jabir bin ‘Abdullah said, “The messenger of Allah :saw: asked his wife for food and she said that I have vinegar. He asked for some of it and started eating from it while saying:
“What an excellent food vinegar is” (he ate it with bread)

Wine vinegar helps against inflammation and bile and prevents harm from toxic medicines.

It helps the digestion process by working against phlegm softening thick foods and blood.

When drunk with salt it helps against poisonous mushrooms.
When used as a mouthwash it relieves toothache.
Vinegar stimulates appetite, and softens the stomach.

3) Khilal (Toothpick)

Toothpicks are helpful for the gingival teeth and help keep breath fresh. Toothpicks made from olive trees are one of the best.

Al Qadr
27-01-07, 03:57 PM
The letter Daal

1) Duhn (Fat or Grease)

Fat closes the pores and prevents the skins from decomposing.

At-Tirmidhi narrated that Abu Hurairah related from the Prophet :saw: that he said:
“Use grease in your food and as an ointment”

Tahiyah
27-01-07, 06:31 PM
http://www.irfi.org/articles/articles_251_300/medicine_of_the_prophet.htm

Loobna
27-01-07, 08:57 PM
The letter Haa

3) Hurf (Cress)

Prophet Muhammad :saw: was reported to have said

“What a cure do the two bitter remedies carry: the Thuffaa and aloe”

It heats and relaxes the stomach
Decomposes spleen tumours
Excites sexual drive
Heals ulcers of mange and herpes

When used as a bandage with honey it decomposes spleen tumours
When it is burned its smoke repulses venomous beasts and also prevents hair from falling.
When crushed and taken with warm water, it is a laxative.
Also helps against leprosy when crushed and used as a drink.

Assalaamu alaikum

just wanted to ask - how do you use the smoke to help with falling hair?
Also - wine vinegar - is that ok?

Ws

Al Qadr
27-01-07, 09:21 PM
http://www.irfi.org/articles/articles_251_300/medicine_of_the_prophet.htm

:jkk: sis

For those of you who would like to buy the book here are the details:

Author: Imam Ibn Qayyim Al-Jauziyah
ISBN: 9960-892-91-3
Format: Hardcover | Pages: 359
Weight: 1.51 lbs
Pub. Date: 2003
Publisher: Dar-us-Salam

Assalaamu alaikum

just wanted to ask - how do you use the smoke to help with falling hair?
Also - wine vinegar - is that ok?

Ws

:wswrwb: sis,

The book says about the cress being used to prevent hair falling that when it is burned, the smoke prevents the hair from falling, so this may mean put ur head near the smoke :p

Wine vinegar hmm, I jus googled it and the results were not good :|

Al Qadr
28-01-07, 03:39 PM
The letter Thal

1) Tharirah (Hemarthia/Arum)

In the Sahihain it is narrated that Aisha said that during the Farewell Hajj, she perfumed the Messenger of Allah :saw: with Tharirah for his Ihram.

Ibn As-Sunni said in his book that one of the Prophets wives said “Once the messenger of Allah came by when I had a pimple on my finger. He said:
“Do you have a Tharirah (arum)’ I said ‘Yes’. He said, place it on the pimple. He then said ‘Say, O Allah who transforms the big to small and small to big make what I am suffering small.”

2) Thubab (Flies)

In a Hadith by Abu Hurairah (ra) he mentioned the Prophet :saw: command to dip the housefly in the food or drink when it falls in it to get the antidote that its wing carries.

3) Thabab (Gold)

Volume 8, Book 76, Number 447:
Narrated Anas bin Malik:

Allah's Apostle :saw: said, "If Adam's son had a valley full of gold, he would like to have two valleys, for nothing fills his mouth except dust. And Allah forgives him who repents to Him."

Volume 9, Book 88, Number 235:
Narrated Abu Huraira:

Allah's Apostle said, "Soon the river "Euphrates" will disclose the treasure (the mountain) of gold, so whoever will be present at that time should not take anything of it." Al-A'raj narrated from Abu Hurairah that the Prophet said the same but he said, "It (Euphrates) will uncover a mountain of gold (under it)." (Sign of Day of Judgment)

Foul breath will go away if someone puts some gold in their mouth.
Gold is effective in strengthening the heart which is why it is permissible in times of war and peace.
At-Tirmidhi narrated that Buraydah Al’’Asri said, “The messenger of Allah :saw: entered Makkah the day of Al-Fath (conquering Makkah) with gold and silver on his sword.”

Al Qadr
29-01-07, 07:00 AM
The letter Raa

1) Rutab (Ripe dates)

Allah said to Maryam:
“And shake the trunk of date palm towards you, it will let fall fresh ripe dates upon you. So eat and drink and be glad. And if you see any human being, say: ‘Verily, I have vowed to fast unto the Most Gracious (Allah) so I shall not speak to any human being this day’” (Qur’an 19:25-26)

Abu Dawud narrated in his Sunan that Anas (ra) said:
“The Messenger :saw: used to break his fast on some ripe dates, and if he did not have any, on dry dates. Otherwise, if he did not have any dry dates, he would have several sips of water”

2) Raihan (Myrtle/Basil)

“And also corn, with (its) leaves and stalm for fodder, and sweet-scented plants” (Qur’an 55:12)

Muslim narrated that the Prophet :saw: said
“Whoever was presented with Rayhan should not refuse it, because it is easy to wear and has a good scent”

Myrtle prevents bile and diarrhea and dissipates warm and wet vapor when one smells it scent.
When rubbed on the body it gets rid of sweat and underarm odor.

3) Rumman (Pomegranate)

“In them (both) will be fruits, and date palms and pomegranates” (Qur’an 55:68)

Used as eye drops after being cooked with honey, it gets rid of yellowness in eyes.

Al Qadr
29-01-07, 02:53 PM
The letter Zay

1) Zait (Olive Oil)

“Lit from a blessed tree, an olive, neither of the east (i.e. neither it gets sun-rays only in the morning) nor of the west (i.e. nor it gets sun-rays only in the afternoon, but is exposed to the sun all say long), whose oil would almost glow forth (of itself), though no fire touched it" (Qur’an 24:35)

At-Tirmidhi and Ibn Majah narrated that Anu Hurairah related from the Prophet Muhammad :saw: that he said:
“Eat the Zait and use it as an ointment, because it is produced by a blessed tree.”

All kinds of olive oil soften the skin and slow the aging process.
There are numerous benefits of olive oil.

2) Zubd (Butter)

Abu Dawud narrated in his Sunan that the two children of Busr said,
“The messenger of Allah :saw: came by us and we offered him some butter and dried dates, as he used to like eating butter and dried dates”

The wisdom behind the Prophet :saw: eating dried dates with butter is that they would neutralize the effect of each other.

3) Zabib (Raisins)

The best type is the largest and fattest with small seeds.
Raisin pulp is suitable for the windpipe and relieves coughing.

Raisins help boost memory, Az-Zuhri said “Those who seek to memorize the Hadith should eat raisins” Also it was reported that Abdullah Ibn ‘Abbas described raisins that “Their seeds are an ailment while their pulp is a cure”

4) Zanjabil (Ginger)

“And they will be given a drink there (a cup of wine) mixed with Zanajbil (Qur’an 76:17)

Al Qadr
30-01-07, 10:42 PM
The letter Seen

1) Senna

At-Tirmidhi and Ibn Majah narrated that the Muhammad :saw: asked Asma bint ‘Umais.

“How do you deal with constipation” She said, “by using Shubrum (euphrob piteous).” The prophet :saw: said “(It is) hot and a strong laxative.” She then said, “I also use senna” and the Prophet replied, “If there is a cure that prevents death, it would be senna”

2) Safarjal (Quince)

All types of safarjal quench thirst, stop vomiting, help produce urine and constipate.

3) Siwak

Volume 9, Book 90, Number 346:
Narrated Abu Huraira:

Allah's Apostle said, "Were I not afraid that it would be hard on my followers, I would order them to use the siwak" (as obligatory, for cleaning the teeth)

Volume 2, Book 21, Number 237:
Narrated Hudhaifa :

Whenever the Prophet :saw: got up for Tahajjud prayer he used to clean his mouth (and teeth) with Siwak.

Volume 2, Book 13, Number 15:
Narrated 'Aisha:

AbdurRahman bin Abi Bakr came holding a Siwak with which he was cleaning his teeth. Allah's Apostle looked at him. I requested Abdur-Rahman to give the Siwak to me and after he gave it to me I divided it, chewed it and gave it to Allah's Apostle. Then he cleaned his teeth with it and (at that time) he was resting against my chest.

4) Samak (Fish)

Imam Ahmad and Ibn Majah narrated that Abdullah Ibn Umar said that the Prophet :saw: said:

“We are allowed two dead animals and two bloods: fish and locust, and liver and spleen”

Volume 7, Book 67, Number 401:
Narrated Jabir:

We went out in a campaign and the army was called The Army of the Khabt, and Abu 'Ubaida was our commander. We were struck with severe hunger. Then the sea threw a huge dead fish called Al-'Anbar, the like of which had never been seen. We ate of it for half a month, and then Abu 'Ubaida took one of its bones (and made an arch of it) so that a rider could easily pass under it.

5)Silqh (Chard)

At-Tirmidhi and Abu Dawud narrated that Umm Al-Munthir said,
“The Messenger of Allah came by along with Ali when he was still recovering from an illness. Then, we had some hanging clusters of dates. The messenger of Allah started eating from it, and he (Ali) joined him. The messenger of Allah then said to him:

“You are still recuperating, until Ali stopped eating.’ I then made some barley with chard and brought it to them. The Prophet :saw: said to Ali ‘Eat from this, this is more beneficial for you.’

.Hajar.
30-01-07, 10:59 PM
jazakAllah khair ukht

'tis an excellent thread, mashaAllah :up:

Al Qadr
01-02-07, 09:39 AM
jazakAllah khair ukht

'tis an excellent thread, mashaAllah :up:

:)

The letter Shin

1) Shuneiz (The Black Seed)

Already discussed under Haa

2) Shubrum (Euphorb)

At-Tirmidhi and Ibn Majah narrated that the Prophet :saw: asked Asma Bint Umais
“How do you treat constipation? She said ‘With Shubrum.’ The Prophet :saw: said, ‘hot and too strong of a laxative”

3) Sha’ir (Barley)

Ibn Majah narrated that Aisha (ra) said:
When a member of the family of the Messenger of Allah would fall sick, he would order that Barley soup is made and then the ill person would be commanded to have some of it. He used to say “It strengthens the heart of a sad person and relieves the heart of the ill person, just as one of you would wash the dirt off of her face with water.”

Volume 7, Book 62, Number 101:
Narrated Safiyya bint Shaiba:
The Prophet gave a banquet with two Mudds of barley on marrying some of his wives. (1 Mudd= 1 3/4 of a kilogram)

4) Shawii (Roasted Meat)

Allah said that when the Prophet Ibrahim (AS) had the honourable guests:
“And he hastened to entertain them with a roasted calf” (Qur’an 11:69)

At-Tirmidhi narrated that ‘Abdullah bin Al-Harith said,
“We ate ate some roasted meat with the Messenger of Allah inside the mosque”

nopah
01-02-07, 05:43 PM
the most popular one that I know of is practise of Ruqiya by reciting Al Fatihah.

Nusayba
01-02-07, 05:49 PM
:jkk: ukthi:love:
great thread mashaAllah!!

Al Qadr
02-02-07, 05:49 PM
Bump
:outta:

Al Qadr
04-02-07, 02:59 PM
The letter Sad

1) The Salat (The Formal Prayer)

“And seek help in patience and As-Salat (the prayer) and truly, it is extremely heavy and hard except for Al-Khashi’un [i.e. the true believers in Allah – those who obey Allah with full submission, fear much from his punishment, and believe in His promise (Paradise) and in His Warnings (hell)] (2:45)
“O you who believe! Seek help in patience and As-Salat (the prayer). Truly, Allah is with As-Sabirun (the patient) (2:153)

“And enjoin As-Salat (the prayer) on your family, and he patient in offering them [i.e. the salat (Prayers)]. We ask not of you a provision (i.e. to give Us something: money): We provide for you. And the good end (i.e. Paradise) is for the Muttaqun (the pious)
(20:132)

2) Sabr (Patience)

“Verily, in this are indeed signs for every steadfast, grateful person”. (34:19)
“But if you endure it patiently, verily, it is better for the As-Sabirun (the patient) (16:126)

3) Sawm (Fasting)

“O you who believe! Observing As-Sawm is prescribed for you as it was prescribed for those before you, that you may become Al-Muttaqun (the pious)”. (2:183)

Fasting is a shield from illnesses of the heart, soul and body.

Volume 3, Book 31, Number 123:
Narrated Abu Huraira:

Allah's Apostle said, "When the month of Ramadan starts, the gates of the heaven are opened and the gates of Hell are closed and the devils are chained."

Al Qadr
06-02-07, 09:12 PM
The letter Dhaad

1) Dhabb (Lizards)

Ibn ‘Abbas said that the Messenger :saw: was asked if eating the dhabb was disallowed, because he did not eat from it when it was presented to him. The Prophet :saw: replied:
“No. But this food is not found In my peoples land and I do not have the appetite to eat it”

It is also narrated that Ibn Umar related from the Prophet :saw: that he said:
“I neither allow it nor disallow it”

2) Dhifdi’ (Frog)

Imam Ahmad said, “(Killing) frogs is not allowed for medicinal purposes because the Messenger of Allah :saw: has disallowed killing them.”

Al Qadr
08-02-07, 04:31 PM
The latter Ta’

1) Taib (Perfume)

Volume 7, Book 72, Number 806:
Narrated 'Aisha :

I used to perfume Allah's Apostle with the best scent available till I saw the shine of the scent on his head and shine beard.

Volume 3, Book 47, Number 756:
Narrated 'Azra bin Thabit Al-Ansari:

When I went to Thumama bin 'Abdullah, he gave me some perfume and said that Anas would not reject the gifts of perfume. Anas said: The Prophet used not to reject the gifts of perfume.
The messenger of Allah :saw: said:
“From your world, women and Taib (perfume) were made beloved to me and the comfort of my eye is the prayer”

2) Talh (Banana or Acacia)

“And among talh (banana trees) with fruits piled one above the other2 (56:29)

They should be eaten before meals and eating them with sugar and honey reduces their harmful side effects.

3) Tal’ (Shoots or Clusters of dates)

Allah said:
“And tall date-palms, with ranged clusters” (50:10)
“And green crops (field) and date-palms with soft spadix” (26:148)

Al Qadr
11-02-07, 09:50 PM
The letter ‘Ayn

1) ‘Inab (Grapes)

“[and] by virtue thereof He causes crops to grow for you, and olive trees, and date palms, and grapes, and all [other] kinds of fruit: in this, behold, there is a message indeed for people who think!” (Qur’an 16:11)

Volume 4, Book 53, Number 382:
Narrated Ibn Umar:

"In our holy battles, we used to get honey and grapes, as war booty which we would eat and would not store."

2) ‘Asal (Honey)

Volume 7, Book 69, Number 518:
Narrated 'Aisha:

The Prophet used to like sweet edible things (syrup, etc.) and honey.

Volume 7, Book 71, Number 584:
Narrated Ibn 'Abbas:

(The Prophet said), "Healing is in three things: A gulp of honey, cupping, and branding with fire (cauterizing)." But I forbid my followers to use (cauterization) branding with fire."

3) ‘Ajwah (Pressed, Dried Dates)

Volume 7, Book 65, Number 356:
Narrated Sad:

Allah's Apostle :saw: said, "He who eats seven 'Ajwa dates every morning, will not be affected by poison or magic on the day he eats them."

Also, An-Nasai and Ibn Majah narrated that the Prophet :saw: said:
“The ‘Ajwah is from Paradise, and it is an antidote against poison. The Kamah (truffles) is a type of Manna and its water (extract) cures the eye)

4) ‘Anbar (Whale)

Volume 7, Book 67, Number 401:
Narrated Jabir:

"We went out in a campaign and the army was called The Army of the Khabt, and Abu 'Ubaida was our commander. We were struck with severe hunger. Then the sea threw a huge dead fish called Al-'Anbar, the like of which had never been seen. We ate of it for half a month, and then Abu 'Ubaida took one of its bones (and made an arch of it) so that a rider could easily pass under it."

As for Al-‘Anbar, amber, which is a type of Taib (musk) its one of the finest perfumes following musk. Some people preferred Anbar to musk but the Prophet :saw: said about musk:
“It is the best Taib (Perfume)

5) ‘Ud (Indian aloe wood)

Volume 4, Book 55, Number 544:
Narrated Abu Huraira:

Allah's Apostle said, "The first group of people who will enter Paradise, will be glittering like the full moon and those who will follow them, will glitter like the most brilliant star in the sky. They will not urinate, relieve nature, spit, or have any nasal secretions. Their combs will be of gold, and their sweat will smell like musk. The aloes-wood will be used in their centers. Their wives will be houris. All of them will look alike and will resemble their father Adam (in statute), sixty cubits tall."

6) ‘Adas (Lentils)

Its reported that lentils were described as the lust of the Jews. ‘Adas is a companion of onions and garlic, and works as a laxative. :rotfl: :embar:

Al Qiyamah
13-02-07, 12:56 PM
jazaakAllahu Khayr sis, a very informative thread :)

Al Qadr
14-02-07, 05:31 PM
The letter Ghayan

1) Ghayth (Rain)

Volume 2, Book 17, Number 142:
Narrated Aisha:

Whenever Allah's Apostle saw the rain, he used to say, "O Allah! Let it be a strong fruitful rain."

Ash-Shafi narrated that Anas bin Malik (ra) said “Once we were with the Prophet :saw: when the rain fell. The Prophet :saw: removed his outer garment (until the rain fell on him) saying:
“It has just come from its Lord”.

Al Qadr
18-02-07, 06:45 PM
The letter Faa

1) Fatihah Al-Kitab (1st chapter in the Qur’an)

Fatihah is the mother of the Qur’an, the seven frequently recited verses that the Prophet :saw: was given and the ultimate cure and beneficial remedy that contains the perfect Ruqiah, Islamic prayer formula. Fatihah is the answer to acquiring richness, success and strength, and removing sadness, depression, anguish and fear.

Volume 1, Book 12, Number 723:
Narrated 'Ubada bin As-Samit:
Allah's Apostle said, "Whoever does not recite Al-Fatiha in his prayer, his prayer is invalid."

One of the companions unveiled a few secrets of the Fatihah when he used it as a Ruyah for scorpion stings. The affected person was instantly cured and the Prophet :saw: asked the companion:
“How did you know it is a cure?”

2) Fiddah (Silver)

Volume 7, Book 72, Number 728:
Narrated Hudhaifa:
The Prophet forbade us to drink out of gold and silver vessels, or eat in it, Ann also forbade the wearing of silk and Dibaj or sitting on it.

Volume 7, Book 72, Number 759:
Narrated Anas:
The ring of the Prophet was of silver, and its stone was of silver too.

Unlike disallowing drinking from silver containers, there are no authentic narrations tha disallow wearing silver.

Al Qadr
23-02-07, 11:12 AM
Will post one tonight :insha: almost finished the alphabet listings

Al Qadr
23-02-07, 08:01 PM
The letter Qaaf

1) Qur’an

“And we sent down of the Qur’an which is a healing and a mercy to those who believe (in Islamic Monoteism and act on it)” (17:82)

“O Mankind! There has come to you a good advise from your Lord (i.e. The Qur’an, enjoining all that is good and forbidding all that is evil), and a healing for that which is in your breasts…” (10:57)

“Is it not sufficient for them that We have sent down to you the book (the Qur’an) which is recited to them?” (29:51)

2) Qith-tha (Wild Cucumber)

“The prophet :saw: used to eat Qith-tha’ with ripe dates” [At-Tirmidhi]

3) Qust, or Kust (Costus)

In the Sahihain it is narrated that Anas related from the Prophet :saw: that he said:
“cupping and marine costus are the best of your remedies”

Imam Ahmed narrated that the Prophet :saw: said:
“Use Indian wood, because it contains seven types of cures, among them a cure for pleurisy”

When taken as a drink, they help weak liver and stomach. Also helps against poisons.

4) Qasab As-Sukkar (Sugarcane)

Sugar is a fairly new substance that the people of the olden days didn’t know about or mention. Sugarcane is hot and wet and relieves coughing and gets rid of excess moisture in the body, prostrate and chest.
Sugar has a fraction of the benefits of honey.

Al Qadr
25-02-07, 11:17 AM
The letter Kaf

1) Kamah (Truffles)

In the Sahihain it is narrated that the Prophet said:
“The kamah is among the Manna and its water (extract or juice) cures the eye.”

The Kamah grows underground, and it is called Kamah because it grows hidden beneath the earth. The Kamah doesn’t have leaves or stems.

Prophet :saw: said:
“The Kamah is a type of the Manna that Allah has sent down on the Children of Israel”.

2) Katam (Plants used to Dye hair black)

The Prophet :saw: said:
“Henna and Katam are the best of what you use to change (the colour of) white hair.” [Abu Dawud, At-Tirmidhi, An-Nasai’I and Ibn Majah]

Al Qadr
27-02-07, 12:39 PM
The letter Laam

1) Lahm (Meat)

Allah says in the Qur’an

“And we shall provide them with fruit and meat such as they desire” (52:22)

“And with the flesh of fowls that they desire.” (56:21)

Messenger of Allah :saw: said:
“Whoever kills a bird for fun, the bird will complain to Allah, ‘O my Lord, Such and such person killed me for fun and not a useful purpose.’”

2) Laban (Milk)

“And in every cattle, there is a lesson for you. We give you to drink of that which is in their bellies, from between excretions and blood, pure milk; palatable to the drinkers.” (16:66)

“In it are rivers of water the taste and smell of which are not changed, rivers of milk which the taste never changes.” (47:15)

Al Qadr
03-03-07, 12:50 PM
The letter Meem

1) Maa’ (Water)

Ten standards with which waters freshness is tested.

1- colour should be crystal clear
2- no odor
3- sweet and fresh like the water of the Nile and the Euphrates
4- water should be light
5- water resources should be pure, not stagnant
6- water is fresher when its source is further or deeper
7- water should be exposed to wind and sun, not hidden under the earth
8- water sources shouldn’t be stagnant, and should be running fast
9- water should be plentiful, removing impurities it may be carrying
10- water should run from north to south or west to east.

Abu Hurairah narrated from the Prophet :saw: that he said:
“Sayhan, Jayhun, the Nile and the Euphrates are all among the rivers of Paradise”

Zamzam water is the best, freshest and most beneficial.

Ibn Majah narrated that Jabir bin Abdullah related from the Prophet :saw: that he said: “The water of zamzam is for whatever was intended behind drinking it”

2) Misk (Musk)

Muslim narrated that Abu Al-Khudri said that the Prophet :saw: said:
“The best type of perfume is musk”

3) Milh (Salt)

Al-Bazzar narrated that the Prophet :saw: said:
“You will soon be to the people just like what the salt represents to food, and the foods flavor doesn’t become favorable unless there is salt in it”

Al Qadr
04-03-07, 12:24 PM
The letter Noon

1) The Nakhl (Date Palm)

Volume 7, Book 65, Number 359:
Narrated Ibn 'Umar:
The Prophet said, "There is a tree among the trees which is similar to a Muslim (in goodness), and that is the date palm tree."

2) Narjis (Narcissus)

Narjis cleanses and extracts septic substances. The author of “At-Taysir” once said, “Inhaling Narjis aroma heals against the epilepsy that attacks boys”

Al Qadr
05-03-07, 10:47 PM
The Letter Haa’

1) Hindaba (Chicory)

When hinbada, especially warm hinbada, is cooked and eaten with vinegar, it constipates and is more favorable for the stomach.
Used as a bandage it relieves gastric inflammations, gout and hot ocular inflammations. Using its stem and leaves helps against scorpion stings. It also purifies the kidneys.

Al Qadr
06-03-07, 08:18 PM
The letter Waw

1) Warss (Ceylon Cornel tree)

Umm Salamah narrated “The woman who has just delivered would remain for forty days afterwards (without praying or fasting). One of us would then overlay Warss on her face to help against spots.”

Abu Hanifah, a linguist, said, “Warss doesn’t grow in the wild. Rather, it is cultivated. I think that it is only grown in the Arab lands, especially in Yemen.”

The best type of Warss is red with little bran. It is used as an ointment to treat spots, rashes and pimples appearing on the skins surface.

Warss has similar benefits to sea Qust, and if used as an ointment can relieve vitiligo (skin condition where there is patchy loss of pigment), rashes, pimples and ulcers.

2) Wasmah (Woad)

Wasmah is similar to the Niles leaves and it is used to dye the hair black.

Al Qadr
07-03-07, 04:29 PM
The letter Yaa

1) Yaqtin (Gourd)

Yaqtin means gourd or pumpkin. In Arabic, Yaqtin means every plant that doesn’t have a stem or tree (watermelon, cucumber)

“And we caused a plant of gourd to grow over him” (Qur’an 37:146)

The Yaqtin mentioned in the Qur’an is the pumpkin, which is also called Dubbaa, Qar’ and Yaqtin.

Volume 7, Book 65, Number 347:
Narrated Anas bin Malik:
A tailor invited the Prophet to a meal which he had prepared, and I went along with the Prophet . The tailor presented barley bread and soup containing gourd and cured meat. I saw the Prophet picking the pieces of gourd from around the dish, and since then I have kept on liking gourd.
Gourd is helpful for people suffering from fevers or have hot temperatures. It is one of the lightest foods and easily digested. The messenger of Allah :saw: used to like eating it.

Al Qadr
07-03-07, 04:32 PM
Thats the end of the alphabet listings.
Errrm, the book has much much more stuff, :insha: will cover some areas, but havent typed any yet, I need to get a move on n do some studying 1st :(

If anyone1 wants me to go over a particular issue (like theres epilepsy and poison stuff) jus say it here, :insha: I'll get bak when I can if its in the book.

Asalaamu Alaikum Warahmatullah'

Al Qadr
18-03-07, 07:24 AM
bump .....

"Make use of two cures: honey and the Qur'an"

Prophet Muhammad :saw: (narrated by Ibn Majah and others)

meer
18-03-07, 07:38 AM
Jazak Allah khair for this nice thread....:up:

Al Qadr
18-03-07, 07:45 PM
Prohibition of using what Allaah has forbiden for medical purposes

Muhammad :saw: said:
"Allah has sent down the disease and the cure and has created a cure for every disease. Seek the cure, but do not use what has been prohibited for medicinal purposes” [At-Tabarani]

Prophet Muhammad :saw: was asked about Al-Khamr (alcohol) for medicinal purposes. The prophet :saw: said
“Verily that is not a cure, rather it is a disease…” [Abu Dawood and At-Tirmidhi]

Al Qadr
20-03-07, 04:39 PM
Cupping

What is Cupping ?

Cupping is a method of treatment in which a jar is attached to the skin surface to cause local congestion through the negative pressure created. An incision lightly made to allow the congested blood to ooze out. This type of treatment has been practised by the chinese and the Arabs for thousand of years.Cupping is a therapeutic process of removing this unclean blood from the body . It is a form of medical treatment which has been recommended by Shariah.

In Malay this practice is known as 'BEKAM' and in Arabic it is called 'AL-HIJAMAH' while in China 'gua-sha'. In Arabic this method of therapy was popularised by our Prophet Muhammad(sallallahu alaiyhi wassallam) as stated in many Hadith.

Indication and Diseases that respond to Cupping

The cupping method has the function of warming and promoting the flow of energy in the blood thus dispelling cold, dampness, toxins and winds. It also diminishes swellings and pains.
The following problems respond very well to Cupping :-

Disease caused by dampness, such as low back pain, lumbago, sciatica, pain in the arms and shoulders, pain in the legs and muscular parts of the body, stomachache, vomiting, headache, migraine, sprains, insomnia, etc.

Few Hadith About Cupping

Ibn Abbas(R.A.) reported Allah's messenger( :saw: ) as saying " There is a remedy in three thing: The Incision of a cupping glass, a drink of honey, or cauterization by fire, but I forbid my people to cauterize."

During the battle of Khaibar in 7 A.H. with the Jews, a jewish woman prepared some meat which she filled with deadly poison and presented to Rasullulah(sallallhu alaiyhi wassallam). Upon tasting the meat, the poison affected Rasullulah (sallallhu alaiyhi wassallam). Rasullulah(sallallhu alaiyhi wassallam) then used to undergo cupping in order to relieve himself from effects of the poison in his blood ( Shamaail Tirmizi )

Rasullullah ( :saw: ) was once hurt on his leg, hence (probably due to the clogging of the blood), he underwent cupping on his leg. (Mishkat p. 389)

Rasulullah (Sallallaahu alayhi Wasallam) said, ‘Jibraaeel (alayhis salaam) repeatedly emphasised upon me to resort to cupping to the extent that I feared that cupping will be made compulsory.’ (Jamal Wasaail p. 179).

Hadhrat Anas (Radhiallaahu anhu) reports that Rasulullah (Sallallaahu aayhi Wasallam) said, ‘The best medicine is cupping.’ (Shamaail, chapter of Cupping)

Hadhrat Abu Kabsha (Radhiallaahu anhu) narrates that Rasulullah (Sallallaahu alayhi Wasallam) used to undergo cupping on the head and between his shoulders and he used to say, ‘Whosoever removes this blood, it will not harm him that he does not take any other medical treatment.’ (Mishkat p. 389)

Rasulullah (Sallallaahu alayhi Wasallam) praised a person who performs cupping, saying it removes blood, lightens the back and sharpens the eyesight (Jamal Wasaail p. 179) The above quoted Ahaadith are clear that cupping was practised by Rasulullah (Sallallaahu alayhi Wasallam) himself and strongly recommended by him.

Rasulullah (Sallallaahu alayhi Wasallam) has also given some guidelines regarding cupping. Once he came across a fasting person who underwent cupping and became weak. Hence, he said, ‘The person who underwent cupping broke his fast.’ (Jam?l Wasaail p. 179) Mullah Ali Qari (Rahmatullaahi alayhi) while explaining the Hadith states that since a person is already weak by fasting, undergoing cupping weakens him further. Thus such a person due to feeling extremely weak may be forced to break his fast.
He further states that in the light of the principle understood from the Hadith, cupping should not be administered immediately after having a hot bath, or while the belly is full.

Time of Cupping:

Hadhrat Abu Hurayrah (Radhiallaahu anhu) reports that Rasulullah (Sallallaahu alayhi Wasallam) said: ‘One should not undergo cupping during the 13, 14 and 15 of the lunar month.’ Some Muhadditheen explain that on those days the full moon has a gravitational impact on many things on earth. For example, the sea has high tides due to the full moon. Similarly, the flowing of the blood is also affected and flows faster during the full moon. One may loose much blood in these days if one undergoes cupping. Therefore, Rasulullah (Sallallaahu alayhi Wasallam) advised that one should undergo cupping on the 17, 19 and 21 of the lunar month. (Mishkat p. 389). Rasulullah ( :saw: ) advised that cupping should not be done on a Tuesday, since there is a certain time on a Tuesday that flowing blood does not stop. (Mishkat p. 389). Rasulullah (Sallallaahu alayhi Wasallam) also advised that cupping should not be done on Saturdays and Wednesdays as this could lead to leprosy. (Mishkat p. 389). As the need may arise, cupping may be performed at any time according to the condition or urgency.

Cupping Techniques:

There are various types of cups - rubber, bamboo, glass and plastic, animal horns, etc and also the techinique of cupping varies from place to place or form country to country.
Among the Kelantanese Malays, they used buffalo horns, drinking glasses and bamboo as cups. It is said that the ancient Chinese and Arabs had used animal horns for cupping.

Cupping Techniques Today:

Today, there are various types of cups to choose for cupping such as rubber cups, bamboos, cupping glasses or plastic cups.
There are two types of cupping more prevalent today:
Traditional Cupping and
Vacuum Cupping
Traditional Cupping are the one that need some kind of fire to create a vacuum, while the vacuum cups ( a newer type) have a pump so that no fire is needed.

The scholars advise that administering medicine requires medical expertise. Therefore, with regard to any medical treatment recommended by Rasulullah (Sallallaahu alayhi Wasallam), due to health and medical intricacies, one must exercise caution and consult with a physician. Similarly, with regard to cupping, although it is strongly recommended by Rasulullah (Sallallaahu alayhi Wasallam), one must consult with a medical practitioner before undergoing cupping.
Rasulullah (Sallallaahu alayhi Wasallam) himself underwent cupping many times and encouraged others to do so too. May we revive this Sunnah and benefit from it's therapeutic effects.

Compiled by everymuslim.com from sources: http://cupping.xaper.com/index.html & Article by Mufti Ebrahim Desai.
http://members.tripod.com/maseeh1/advices7/id108.htm

Al Qadr
20-03-07, 05:15 PM
Uses of Honey & Cinnamon & it's Benefits

It is found that mixture of Honey and Cinnamon cures most of the diseases.
Honey is produced in most of the countries of the world. Ayurvedic as well as Yunani medicine have been using honey as a vital medicine for centuries.
Scientists of today also accept honey as a Ram Ban (very effective) medicine for all kinds of diseases.
Honey can be used without any side effects for any kind of diseases. Today's science says that even though honey is sweet,if taken in the right dosage as medicine, it does not harm diabetic patients also.
A famous magazine named Weekly World News published in Canada dated 17 January 1995 has given a list of diseases that can be cured by Honey and Cinnamon as researched by western scientists.

ARTHRITIS:
Take one part honey to two parts of Luke warm water and add a small teaspoon of cinnamon powder, make a paste and massage it on the itching part of the body. It is noticed that the pain recedes within a minute or two. Or for arthritis patients daily morning and night take one cup of hot water with two spoons of honey and one small teaspoon of cinnamon powder. If drunk regularly even chronic arthritis can be cured.
In a recent research done at the Coppen Hagen University. It was found that when the doctors treated their patients with a mixture of one tablespoon Honey and half teaspoon cinnamon powder before breakfast, they found that within a week out of the 200 people so treated practically 73 patients were totally relieved of pain and within a month, mostly all the patients who could not walk or move around because of arthritis started walking without pain.

HAIR LOSS:
Those suffering from hair loss or baldness may apply a paste of hot olive oil, one tablespoon or honey, one teaspoon cinnamon powder before bath and keep it for approx. 15 min. and then wash the hair. It was found very effective even if kept for 5 min. also.

BLADDER INFECTIONS:
Take two tablespoons of cinnamon powder and one teaspoon of honey in a glass of Luke warm water and drink it. It destroys the germs of the bladder.

TOOTHACHE:
Make a paste of one teaspoon of cinnamon powder and five teaspoons of honey and apply on the aching tooth. This may be done 3 times a day daily till such time that the tooth has stopped aching.

CHOLESTEROL:
Two tablespoons of honey and three teaspoons of cinnamon powder mixed in 16 ounces of tea water if given to a cholesterol patient,it reduces the level of cholesterol in the body by 10% within2 hours. As mentioned for arthritic patients, if taken 3 times a day any chronic cholesterol cured. As per the information received in the said journal,pure honey taken with food daily relieves complains of cholesterol.

COLDS:
Those suffering from common or severe colds should take one tablespoon Luke warm honey with 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon powder daily for 3 days. This process will cure most chronic cough, cold and clear the
sinuses.

UPSET STOMACH:
Honey taken with cinnamon powder cures stomachache and also clears stomach ulcers from the root. GAS: According to the studies done in India & Japan, it is revealed that if honey is taken with cinnamon powder the stomach is relieved of gas.

HEART DISEASES:
Make a paste of honey and cinnamon powder, apply on bread or chappati instead of jelly and jam and eat it regularly for breakfast.It reduces the cholesterol in the arteries and saves the patient from
heart attack. Also those who have already had an attack, if they do this process daily, are kept miles away from the next attack, Regular use of the above process relieves loss of breath and strengthens the heart beat.
In America and Canada, various nursing homes have treated patients successfully and have found that due to the increasing age the arteries and veins, which lose their flexibility and get clogged, are revitalized.

IMMUNE SYSTEM:
Daily use of honey and cinnamon powder strengthens the immune system and protects the body from bacteria and viral attacks.
Scientists have found that honey has various vitamins and iron in large amounts. Constants use of honey strengthens the white blood corpuscles to fight bacteria and viral diseases.

INDIGESTION:
Cinnamon powder sprinkled on two tablespoons of honey taken before food, relieves acidity and digests the heaviest of meals.

INFLUENZA:
A Scientist in Spain has proved that honey contains a natural ingredient, which kills the influenza germs and saves the patient from flu.

LONGEVITY:
Tea made with honey and cinnamon powder, when taken regularly arrests the ravages of old age. Take 4 spoons of honey 1 spoon of cinnamon powder and 3 cups of water and boil to make like tea. Drink 1/4 cup. 3 to 4 times a day. It keeps the skin fresh and soft and arrests old age. Life spans also increases and even if a person is 100 years old. Starts performing the chores of a 20 years old.

PIMPLES:
Three tablespoons of honey and one teaspoon of cinnamon powder paste.
Apply this paste on the pimples before sleeping and wash it next morning with warm water. If done daily for two weeks. It removes pimples from the roots.

SKIN INFECTIONS:
Applying honey and cinnamon powder in equal parts on the affected parts cures Eczema, Ringworm and all types of skin infections.

WEIGHT LOSS:
Daily in the morning 1/2 hour before breakfast on an empty stomach and at night before sleeping, drink honey and cinnamon powder boiled in one cup water. If taken regularly it reduces the weight of even the most obese person. Also drinking of this mixture regularly does not allow the fat to accumulate in the body even though the person may eat a high calorie diet.

CANCER:
Recent research in Japan and Australia has reveled that advanced cancer of the stomach and bones have been cured successfully. Patients suffering from these kinds of cancer should daily take one tablespoon of honey with one teaspoon of cinnamon powder for one month 3 times a day

FATIGUE:
Recent studies have shown that the sugar content of honey is more helpful than detrimental to the body strength. Senior citizens who take honey and cinnamon powder in equal parts are more alert and flexible. Dr.Milton who has done research says that half tablespoon honey taken in one glass of water and sprinkled with cinnamon powder, taken daily after brushing and in the afternoon at about 3:00 p.m. when the vitality of the body starts decreasing. Increases the vitality of the body within a week.

BAD BREATH:
People of South America, first thing in the morning gargle with one teaspoon of honey and cinnamon powder mixed in hot water. So their breath stays fresh throughout the day.

HEARING LOSS:
Daily morning and night honey and cinnamon powder taken in equal parts restores hearing.

{Rasulullah( :saw: ) has mentioned the numerous benefits of Honey more than 1400 years ago.
Thus, one could use the above Remedies with the intention(niyyah) of a Sunnah,and through it's Barakah one will be rewarded for fulfilling a Sunnah,as well as,receive it's cure,Insha-Allah.}

http://www.members.tripod.com/alislaah4/moreadvices2/id18.htm

Na'eemah
20-03-07, 05:52 PM
Sahih Muslim, Volume 7, Book 71, Number 587:

Narrated Jabir bin Abdullah:
''I heard the Prophet :saw: saying, "If there is any healing in your medicines, then it is in cupping, a gulp of honey or branding with fire (cauterization) that suits the ailment, but I don't like to be (cauterized) branded with fire."

Al Qadr
21-03-07, 09:04 AM
About the book:

Author: Imam Ibn Qayyim Al-Jauziyah
ISBN: 9960-892-91-3
Format: Hardcover
Pages: 359
Weight: 1.51 lbs
Pub. Date: 2003
Publisher: Dar-us-Salam

DESCRIPTION
'Healing with the Medicine of the Prophet' is the panacea for those in search of good health. It is a magnificent work that is a treasure for every Muslim household. Although it was written by the author, Ibn Al-Qayyim, over six hundred and fifty years ago, it is an extremely timely work for our generation in which health and natural health care products have become an important aspect of the lives of so many.

The author presents the guidance of the Prophet in dealing with a variety of health issues, including treatment of ailments and preventive remedies to keep the body fit. As the Qur’ân and Sunnah (traditions of Muhammad (Pbuh)) are the main sources of the Islamic lifestyle, it only stands to reason that they should likewise be referred to in the matters of health and fitness. This is the approach taken by Ibn Al-Qayyim as he presents verses of the Qur’ân, and statements of the Prophet as his main reference in these issues of health and medicines.

The final chapters of this work include an extremely beneficial glossary of remedies, herbs, foods and other natural substances that aid in the journey towards better health.

'Healing with the Medicine of the Prophet' is an invaluable reference guide for the Muslims of every land and every generation. May Allah bestow His mercy and blessings upon the author, Ibn Al-Qayyim, for surely his work will be cherished throughout time.

http://www.dukandar.com/healingmedicine.html# << U can take a look inside the book here too.

http://www.simplyislam.com/iteminfo.asp?item=52703 costs £9 here, but add over £2 for shipping.

http://websell.pipex.com/alpha-cgi/shophere/qsc003.html?id=8gG6X4PZ £10.45 total I think :D

Al Qadr
22-03-07, 08:18 PM
Benefits of Kalonji(Black Seed)
By Dr. M. Laiq Ali Khan
http://www.crescentlife.com/dietnutrition/kalonji.htm

The plants of Kalonji are found throughout India in the form of bushes. The height of the plant is approximately half a meter. It possesses blue flowers. It originated from Turkey and Italy. Later on, it was brought to Asia by physicians and cultivated in India. Seeds are triangular in shape, black in colour and possess a severe pungent smell, contain a considerable amount of oil. It is incorrect that Arabs learnt its use from the Greeks, because before the advent of Islam, no description or record is found about its use. Its therapeutic use was initiated after the advent of Islam, since; Prophet Muhammad (sallallahu alaiyhi wassallam) mentioned its therapeutic efficacy and potential of cure.

Chemical Composition - seeds contain 1.5% volatile oil, while 37.5% Non volatile oil. In addition to this Albumen, Sugar, Organic acids, Glucoside Melanthin Metarbin and bitter substances are also found. The Glucoside is toxic in nature, hence the use of Kalonji in large doses and prolonged use might be harmful.

Hazrat Abu Hurairah States - “I have heard from Rasool( :saw: ) that there is cure for every disease in black seeds except death and black seeds are shooneez.”

Salim Bin Abdullah(R.A.) narrates with reference to his father Hazrat Abdullah Bin Omar that Rasool( :saw: ) said, “Let fall these black seeds upon you, these contain cure for all diseases except death.”

The same narration is found in Sanad-e-Ahmed from Hazrat Aisha (R.A.) and in Ibn-al-Jozi and Trimizi from Abu Huraira(R.A.). Hazrat Buraida(R.A.) narrates that Prophet Muhammad ( :saw: ) stated - “Shooneez is cure for all ailments except death.”

It is stated in the books of seerat that Nabi-e-Akram (sallallahu alaiyhi wassallam) himself used to take these seeds for therapeutic purpose but with the syrup of Honey.

Khalid Bin Saad states that he was travelling with Ghalib Bin Jabr, when he fell ill during the journey. Ibn Abi Ateeq (nephew of Hazrat Aisha(R.A.)) came to meet us. On seeing the patient, he took 5 or 7 seeds of Kalonji and ground it, mixed it in olive oil and dropped in both nostrils, Hazrat Aisha(R.A.) told us that Prophet Muhammad( :saw: ) stated that there was cure in black seeds for all ailments except sam. I asked him, what was sam? He said “Death”. Ghalib Bin Jabr became healthy with that treatment.

Observations of the scholars of Hadith reveal that shooneez is equally effective for the diseases due to heat and cold. Zahbi states that kalonji removes the obstruction of any part of the body, expels the gases and strengthens the stomach.

It is Emmenagogue, Lactogogue and Diuretic.

It is an Anti-Helminthic, if taken with vinegar.

It is useful in chronic cold. Inhalation of its smell is useful in common cold.

The oil of Kalonji is effective in Alopecia.

Half teaspoonful, if boiled in water and taken, is helpful in Asthma and diffuses the toxic effects of Bee and Wasps.

Continuous use of kalonji is effective in mad dog bites.

Fumigation of kalonji is useful in Respiratory Diseases.

It is useful in Paralysis, Facial Palsy, Migraine, Amnesia and Palpitation.

It is also an Expectorant and Antipyretic.

It normalizes the secretions of stomach and pancreas.

This phenomenon is very much effective and significant in the treatment of Diabetes Mellitus.

It expels the Kidney and Urinary Bladder stones, if taken with the syrup of honey.

It is effective in Jaundice if taken with milk.

Its powder if taken with water is effective in treating Haemorrhoids.

If Kalonji seeds are boiled in vinegar and this solution is applied on Gums and Teeth, it removes the Inflammation of the gums and relieves the pain also.

It is also reported that its fine powder is effective if applied in early stages of Cataract.

Kalonji is also used in Skin disorders.

The oil of the seeds is also effective in Earache.

If it is taken with Qust Sheering after breakfast and dinner, it is effective in chronic Dysentery and Asthma.

Qust Sheering is a good medicine for sexual debility, but if it is taken with Kalonji seeds and Habburrashad, it becomes more fortified.

Modern trials have proven that Kalonji seeds alone or in combination with other drugs are highly effective in Diabetes Mellitus, Vitiligo and other Skin ailments.

By Dr. M. Laiq Ali Khan: ( Director, Shah Faisal Institute of Hadith & Medical Sciences, Kasganj - 207123 ,UP)
http://members.tripod.com/maseeh1/advices7/id50.htm

Al Qadr
26-03-07, 06:18 AM
Benefits of Dates

with permission from: http://members.muslimsites.com/skalghazal
Source: http://www.crescentlife.com/dietnutrition/dates.htm

Muslims generally break their fast by eating dates. Prophet Muhammad (sallallahu alaiyhi wassallam) is reported to have said: "if anyone of you is fasting, let him break his fast with dates. In case he does not have them, then with water. Verily water is a purifier."

The Prophet(sallallahu alaiyhi wassallam) used to break his fast by eating some dates before offering Maghrib prayer, and if ripe dates were not available, he used to substitute them with some dried grapes. When they too were not available, he used to have a few sips of water, according to some reports. Modern science has proved that dates are part of a healthy diet. They contain sugar, fat and proteins, as well as important vitamins. Hence the great importance attached to them by the Prophet(sallallahu alaiyhi wassallam).

Dates are also rich in natural fibres. Modern medicine has shown that they are effective in preventing abdominal cancer. They also surpass other fruits in the sheer variety of their constituents. They contain oil, calcium, sulphur, iron, potassium, phosphorous, manganese, copper and magnesium.
In other words, one date is a minimum of a balanced and healthy diet. Arabs usually combine dates with milk and yogurt or bread, butter and fish. This combination indeed makes a self-sufficient and tasty diet for both mind and body. Dates and date palms have been mentioned in the Holy Qur'an 20 times, thus showing their importance. The Prophet(sallallahu alaiyhi wassallam) likened a good Muslim to the date palm, saying, "Among trees, there is a tree like a Muslim. Its leaves do not fall."

Sayyidah Mariam (the Virgin Mary) mother of Jesus (Pbuh) had dates as her food when she felt labour pains and during confinement. They are definitely the "crown of sweets," and ideal food which is easy to digest, and within half an hour of taking it, the tired body regains a renewed vigour. The reason for this is that a shortage of sugar in the blood is the main factor that makes people feel hungry and not an empty stomach as is often assumed. When the body absorbs the nutritional essence of a few dates, the feeling of hunger becomes appeased. When one breaking the fast with dates takes some other food afterwards, he cannot eat much. It would seem that breaking the fast with dates then helps one avoid excessive eating.

Experiments have also shown that dates contain some stimulants that strengthen the muscles of the uterus in the last months of pregnancy. This helps the dilation of the uterus at the time of delivery on one hand and reduces the bleeding after delivery on the other. Dieticians consider dates as the best food for women in confinement and those who are breast-feeding. This is because dates contain elements that assist in alleviating depression in mothers and enriching the breast-milk with all the elements needed to make the child healthy and resistant to disease. The Prophet :saw: has emphasized the importance of dates and their effectiveness in the growth of the fetus. He has also recommended they be given to women. Modern dietary institute now recommend dates to be given to children suffering from a nervous nature or hyperactivity. The Prophet :saw: has also recommended dates as a medicine for heart troubles, according to some reports. Modern science has also proved the effectiveness of date, in preventing diseases of the respiratory system.

Sayyidah Ayesha, (R.A.) wife of Prophet :saw: used to prescribe dates for those suffering from giddiness. It is now well known that a fall in the level of the sugar in the blood and low blood pressure are among the causes of giddiness. She was also reported to have used dates combined with cucumber to treat her over-slim condition! She said, "they've tried to fatten me giving me everything. But I did not become fat. Then they fattened me with cucumber and ripe dates and I gained!" Ayisha was quite correct, as we now know that one kilogram of dates contains nearly 3,000 calories which alone are sufficient to supply the minimum daily requirements of an active man for one full day ( :eek: )

Dates are rich in several vitamins and minerals. When the level of trace elements falls in the body, the health of the blood vessels is affected leading to an increased heart-rate and a consequent inability to perform its function with normal efficiency. As dates are also rich in calcium, they help strengthen the bones. When the calcium content in the body decreases, children are affected with rickets and the bones of adults become brittle and weak.

Dates are also important in keeping up the health of eyes. It is quite effective in guarding against night-blindness. In the early years of Islam, dates served as food for Muslim warriors. They used to carry them in special bags hung at their sides. They are the best stimulant for muscles and so the best food for a warrior about to engage in battle.

The Prophet :saw: used to combine dates with bread sometimes. At other times he mixed ripe dates with cucumber, or dates combined with ghee. He used to take all varieties of dates, but he preferred the variety called Ajwah

Al Qadr
29-03-07, 12:18 PM
THE POMEGRANATE

Pomegranates are native of Iran and they are also found in India, Afghanistan and Syria. The pomegranate is a highly delicious juicy fruit. It has been used as a medicine since ancient times. Good quality pomegranates were grown in the Hanging Gardens of Babylon and were also known in ancient Egypt. During the time of Prophet Musa (Moses), alaihis salaam, quality pomegranates were in cultivation throughout Palestine, Syria and Lebanon. The city of Rimmon was well known for its quality pomegranates. (The Arabic name for pomegranate is Rumman.) Pomegranates were introduced into Spain after the Islamic influence reached there. They eventually made their way to England in the thirteenth century. Later, the Spanish took this important fruit plant to the new world, Mexico and Florida. Its cultivation gradually spread to other countries too and now it is grown in almost every tropical and sub-tropical climate. Presently good quality pomegranate comes from Turkey, Iran, Afghanistan, Syria, Morocco and Spain. In India, Sholapur is famous for juicy pomegranate fruit known as Anar. In Turkey pomegranates are served during important feasts.

An average size pomegranate has 65 calories. Its juice is easily digestible and contains about 15% invert sugar. It is a rich source of sodium and a good source of riboflavin, thiamin, niacin, vitamin C, calcium and phosphorous. Pomegranates have been mentioned in the Quran and the Hadith as follows:

It is HE Who sends down rain from the skies; with it WE produce vegetation of all kinds: from some WE produce green (crops), out of which WE produce grain, heaped up (at harvest); out of the date palm and its sheaths (or spathes) (come) clusters of dates hanging low and near: and (then there are) gardens of grapes, and olives, and pomegranates, each similar (in kind) yet different (in variety): when they begin to bear fruit, feast your eyes with the fruit and the ripeness thereof. Behold! in these things there are Signs for people who believe. (Al-An’aam - 99)

It is HE Who produceth gardens, with trellises and without, and dates, and tilth with produce of all kinds, and olives and pomegranates, similar (in kind) and different (in variety): eat of their fruit in their season, but render the dues that are proper on the day that the harvest is gathered. But waste not by excess: for ALLAH loveth not the wasters. (Al-An’aam - 141)

In them will be Fruits, and dates, and pomegranates: Then which of the favors of your Lord will you deny? (Ar-Rahman - 68-69)
Anas bin Malik, radiya ALLAHu anhu, narrated that the Prophet, :saw:, said: "There is not a pomegranate which does not have a pip from one of the pomegranates of the Garden (of Jannah) in it."

Ali bin Abi Talib, radiya ALLAHu anhu, narrated that the Prophet, :saw:, said: "Pomegranate and its rind strengthen digestion (stomach)."
Pomegranate is a good food and a medicine of great value. It is a tonic for heart patients, highly efficacious in the inflammation of the stomach and effective to check heart pain. The juice of the fruit is an excellent cooling beverage and allays thirst. It acts as a good medicine for both diarrhea and dysentery. For many ailments such as colitis, anemia, jaundice, high blood pressure, piles and arthritis, its juice is an effective medicine. When given with honey, it reduces biliousness. Pomegranate fruit is also prescribed in many disorders under the Homeopathic medicine system.

The decoction of the root bark of pomegranate, which contains an alkaloid pellatrierine and tannic acid, is a highly useful medicine for the expulsion of worms, including tapeworms. This decoction is also reported to be effective for tuberculosis.

The rind of the pomegranate fruit is greatly responsible for its good keeping quality. The fruit can be kept for up to six months. The rind also contains a high percentage of tannic acid and is sometimes used for tanning leather. Pomegranate rinds
were once used to tan the well-known Moroccan and Spanish leather.

According to Unani medicine, the ideal time to eat pomegranate is after lunch. Take out the seeds, sprinkle with a little salt and black pepper and swallow the juice after chewing the seeds. This way of eating is beneficial in chronic constipation and indigestion. It also soothes the nerves and stimulates the liver. Authorities of Unani medicine also maintain that persons doing tedious mental work should eat the fruit in the late afternoon. Another way of using the fruit advantageously is to press out the juice, add a little sugar and drink it. This produces blood, promotes good health and refreshes the brain.

Pomegranate is useful for the following ailments and conditions:

Anal Itching
Itching in the anal region is often the result of parasites in the intestines that go to the anal area to lay their eggs causing local itching. Roast the skin of the pomegranate until it is dark brown and brittle. Crush the powder to a fine texture; mix with a little edible oil and apply over the anus.

Bad Vision or Weakening Eyesight Fill fresh sweet pomegranate juice in a small bottle; leave in the sun. The juice will thicken in a few days. This is excellent for the eyes. Apply in the eyes. The more mature the juice becomes the more effective it is.

Bleeding Piles Pound about ten grams of the skin of the sour variety of the fruit. Boil in about 250 ml water. Sweeten with sugar and drink in the morning and evening.

Diarrhea The skin of the fruit is valuable in the treatment of diarrhea. About 20 grams of the skin and 3 grams of cloves or cinnamon should be boiled well in about 250 ml of water. When cool, the patient should drink 30 to 40 ml of the liquid three times a day for a few days.

Digestive and Kidney Disorders, Poor Appetite, and Diminished Sexual Power Pour about one and half liters of the juice in a bowl until the sediments settle. Separate the juice from the sediments and sieve through a clean cloth. Pour in a bottle so that it fills it to two thirds. Add 250 grams of candy sugar and ten grams of ground fennel. Leave in the sun for a week but shake it a number of times daily. Take 30 - 100 grams once a day.

Earache Mix a little honey with a teaspoon of the juice of the fruit. Warm the mixture and administer two to three drops into the affected ear. The ache should disappear.

Hoarseness or Loss of Voice Boil about 20 grams of the skin and two to three grams of alum in 250 ml water. Use the liquid for gargling.

Intestinal Worms The root-bark of the pomegranate tree is highly toxic to intestinal worms. Boil the bark of a two-inch long root in a cup of water. Half a cup of the decoction should be given three times a day at intervals of two hours to an adult. Two hours after the last dose he should be given castor oil to purge the system. The dose for children is 1/3 of the adult.

Poor Appetite and Digestive Disorders Make regular use of the pure juice of the fruit in the case of poor appetite. The juice is also good in simple colitis in which the colon is inflamed, characterised by diarrhea; and mucous colitis in which the mucous membrane of the colon is inflamed, characterised by colicky pain, and constipation or diarrhea. The juice is an excellent remedy in dysentery, inflammation and ulceration of the lower part of the colon, characterised by pain and diarrhea with bloody stools and mucus. For nausea and morning sickness characterised by excessive secretion of bile, a tablespoon of the fresh juice mixed with an equal quantity of honey, is an effective remedy.

Stomach-ache Sprinkle a little salt and pepper on the fresh seeds and eat.

Teeth and Gum Disorders Regular use of the toothpowder of the rind helps in preventing and curing tooth decay and gum disease. It cleans the teeth, leaving them sparkling white. To make the powder, dry the rind in the sun until it is brittle. Powder, mix with a little fine black pepper and store in a jar. Use everyday with a toothbrush, or apply and rub with a finger.

Al Qadr
06-05-07, 10:28 AM
Imam Shafii said:

- Four matters bring strength to the body:

Eating meat
smelling perfume
taking baths without having sexual intercourse
wearing Kittan (Linen)

-Four matters weaken the body:

Excessive sexual intercourse
depression
drinking water repeatedly while the stomach is hungry
consuming too much sour foods

meer
06-05-07, 10:38 AM
Jazak Allah Khair...:up:

Al Qadr
06-05-07, 10:39 AM
Imam shafii said:

- Four matters sharpen mind power:

Avoiding unnecessary speech
using siwaak
sitting with righteous people
sitting with scholars

alld
06-05-07, 10:51 AM
Imam shafii said:

- Four matters sharpen mind power:

Avoiding unnecessary speech
using siwaak
sitting with righteous people
sitting with scholars

Jazakallah khayr :up:

and by browsing Islamic threads and avioding random threads we can perhaps fulfill some of above conditions .

Four Poisons of the Heart

1. Unnecessary Talking
Umar Ibn al-Khattab, may Allah be pleased with him, said: "A person who talks too much is a person who often makes mistakes, and someone who often makes mistakes, often has wrong actions. The Fire has a priority over such a frequent sinner."

2. Unrestrained Glances

It has been related that the Prophet *saaws* once said words to the effect: "The glance is a poisoned arrow of shaytan. Whoever lowers his gaze for Allah, He will bestow upon him a refreshing sweetness which he will find in his heart on the day that he meets Him."

3. Too Much Food

Al-Miqdam ibn Ma'd Yakrib said: "I heard the Messenger of Allah *saaws* say: "The son of Adam fills no vessel more displeasing to Allah than his stomach. A few morsels should be enough for him to preserve his strength. If he must fill it, then he should allow a third for his food, a third for his drink and leave a third empty for easy breathing."

4. Keeping Bad Company

Allah's Apostle said, "The example of a good companion (who sits with you) in comparison with a bad one, is I like that of the musk seller and the blacksmith's bellows (or furnace); from the first you would either buy musk or enjoy its good smell while the bellows would either burn your clothes or your house, or you get a bad nasty smell thereof."

Al Qadr
07-05-07, 09:05 AM
I found this one interesting :D

Four matters bring strength to the body:

wearing soft clothes
taking a bath moderately
eating sweet and nutritious foods
smelling good scents

Four matters harden the face and rid it of its youth:

lying
rudeness
sinning
asking to many questions without a useful purpose/knowledge

Al Qadr
26-05-07, 12:21 AM
The prophets guidance on preserving the health of the eyes

Ibn Abbas narated:
"Whenever the messenger of Allah used to wear khol, he would use it thrice in the right eye - beginning and finishing with it - and twice in the left eye"

Abu Dawud narrated that the Prophet :saw: said
"Those who use khol should use it an odd number of times"

Ibn Majah narrated in his sunan that 'Abdullah bin Umar related from the Prophet :saw: that he said:
"Use Ithmid (antimony), because it clears the eye and grows the eyelashes"

"The best of your kohl is the Ithmid (antimony), because it clears the sight and causes eyelashes to grow."
narrated by At-Tirmidhi, Ibn Majah, Al-Hakim, At-Tabarani and Abu Na'im[Al-Hakim]

Al Qadr
27-05-07, 10:57 PM
The prophets guidance on staying healthy

"And eat and drink but waste not by extravagance..." {7:31}

Al-Bukhari narrated in his sahih that the messenger of Allaah :saw: said:
"Two bounties regarding which many people cheat themselves, health and free time"

At-Tirmidhi related from that 'Abdullah bin Mihsan Al-Ansari (ra) said, The messenger of Allah :saw: said:
"He who reaches the morning while health is in his body, safe in his residence and having his days sustenance, will be as if the entire life of this world was granted to him"

At-Tirmidhi related from Abu Hurairah (ra) that the prophet :saw: said:
"The first blessing that the slave will be asked about on the Day on Resurrection will be the saying to him 'Have we not made your body healthy and drove away your thirst with cold water?' "

Imam Ahmad narrated that Abu Bakr As-Siddiq said, I heard the Messenger of Allah :saw: saying:
"Ask Allah for certainty and good health, for indeed, no one will have a better possession after certainty of Faith than good health"

Ibn Abbas (ra) is reported to have narrated:
"A bedouin man came to the messenger of Allah :saw: and said to him 'What should I ask for after I finish the five prayers?' The prophet :saw: said 'Ask Allah for good health' The man repeated te question, and the prophet :saw: said to him after the third time, 'Ask Allah for well being in this and the next life.' "

Al Qadr
05-06-07, 09:02 PM
I'ma break this down into a few parts, so post some today, others later :insha:

Zaitoon (Olive): Cure for Seventy Diseases

Zaitoon (Olive) the sign of peace and friendship in this world, has its description in Holy Qur’an Allah Taala says
"By the fig and olive
And the mount of Sinai
And the city of security
We have indeed created man in the best of moulds
Then do we abase him (to be) the lowest of low
Except such as believe and do righteous deeds for they shall have a reward unfailing
What then, can after this, make you deny the last judgment
Is not Allah the wisest of judges” (The Fig, Surah 95)

The plant of olive reaches the height of 3 meters, leaves are bright green and very attractive and the fruits are of bright bluish or violet color, possesses a metallic taste. It is known from old ages. During the excavation of ancient Egyptian graves, vessels full of olive oil were found with other articles. According to the scholars of Hadith, on subsidence of Toofan-E-Nooh (The Great Flood of Noah), when water level came down, the first thing on the earth that was seen was the olive plant.
The plant is extensively found in Asia Minor, Palestine, Roman territory, Greece, Portugal, Spain, Turkey, Italy, North Africa, Algeria, Tunisia, California, Mexico, Peru and South zone of Australia. Usually it is imported from Spain, Italy, France, Turkey and Greece. Though olive fruits are very nutritious it is not usually eaten due to its metallic taste. Rather pickles of its fruits are largely consumed in Europe. The fruit preserved in vinegar is imported from Greece and liked very much in Europe and in Arabian countries.

Olive oil is a good preservative for other eatables too. Sardine and other fishes are tinned and preserved in olive oil. The smokeless burning of olive oil is a peculiar feature, which produces a bright light. The Holy Qur’an stresses the importance of Zaitoon on several occasions: (141-M-AlInaam-6), (99-K-AlInaam-6), (11-K-AlNahl-16), (AlNoor-35), (Moominoon).

Hazrat Sayyed Al-Ansari(R.A.) narrates that the Prophet ( :saw: ) said “Eat the olive oil and massage it over your bodies since it is a holy (mubarak) tree.” (Tirmizi, Ibn Maja)

Hazrat Alqama Bin Amir(R.A.) narrates that Prophet ( :saw: ) said, “ There is olive oil for you, eat it, massage over your body, since it is effective in Heamorrhoids (Piles).” (Ibn Al-Jozi, Zanbi)

Hazrat Aqba Bin Amir narrates that the Prophet ( :saw: ) stated, “You have the olive oil from this Holy (mubarak) tree, treat yourself with this, since it cures the Anal fissure (Basoor).”

Al Qadr
06-06-07, 06:39 PM
Continued...

Khalid Bin Saad(R.A.) narrates:
“I came to Madinah with Ghalib Bin Al Jabr. Ghalib became ill during the journey. Ibn Abi Ateeq came to see him and told a narration from Hazrat Aisha(R.A.) that the Prophet( :saw: ) told about the cure in Kalonji. We crushed a few seeds of Kalonji and mixed it with olive oil and dropped in both nostrils, after which Ghalib became healthy.” (Ibn Maja, Bukhari)

Hazrath Abu Hurairah(R.A.) narrates that the Prophet ( :saw: ) stated:
“Eat the olive oil and apply it (locally), since there is cure for seventy diseases in it, one of them is Leprosy.” (Abu Naim)

Hazrat Zaid Bin Arqam(R.A.) narrates, “ We have been directed by the Prophet ( :saw: ) that we should treat the Pleurisy with Qust-e-Behri (Qust Sheerin) and olive oil.” (Tirmizi, sanade Ahmed, Ibn Maja)

Olive oil has a place in Govt Pharmacopoca of USA and Britain (British Pharmacopoca). Both of these countries have given prime importance to olive oil for the treatment of various ailments and have fixed standard parameters to evaluate its purity.

It contains Palmatic Acid, Oleic Acid, Linoleic Acid, Steanic Acid, Myristic Acid and Glycerides. It is not dissolved in water but in Alcohol, Ether, Chloroform and Liquid Paraffin.

The adulterant very often used in the olive are of the seeds of Tea Plant, Arachis oil in the market samples of olive oil. Sometimes Machine Gun oil and refined Mobile oil are also found.

Olive oil is extracted from the ripened fruits. The unripe and over ripe fruits contain less amount of the oil. The fruits are processed three times. Successively, the first round oil is the best in quality, golden in colour, with a light fragrance and known as virgin oil. Some varieties of olive oil remained unchanged in its effectiveness for years together. It contains therapeutic potential even if it is a thousand years old. Despite the prime importance and holiness given by Qur’an and Prophet Muhammad ( :saw: ) no work has been done to find out its efficacy for the ailments other than the Haemorrhoids, Anal fissure, Skin diseases, pleurisy and leprosy, which are already described by the Prophet ( :saw: ) , whereas the Prophet ( :saw: ) himself says that it contains cure for seventy diseases.

According to Ibn Al-Qayyim the red coloured oil is better than blackish one. It is an exhilarant, glows up the facial complexion, provides prevention against poisons, regulates the digestive process, expels the intestinal parasites, makes the hair lustrous and minimizes the ageing problems. The massage of olive oil with common salt over the gums is a remedy for several diseases of gums and teeth. The local application of olive oil or the water extracted from the crushed olive oil leaves is effective on boils, rashes and itching. The chronic ulcers and boils, which show difficult, healing condition, are healed up with the use of olive oil locally.

Al Qadr
07-06-07, 09:40 AM
According to Zahbi it strengthens the hairs and body, hence could be used as a good tonic in old age problems and to delay the ageing process. It is also useful in sexual weakness. Combination of normal saline with olive oil is highly effective in burns cases.

*The decoction of olive leaves in water is effective against mouth and lip ulcers and allergic dermatitis also.

*The concentrated aqueous extract of olive leaves and fruits is very effective against dental cavities and application of this solution shows very good effects on Leukoplaquea in mouth.

*This solution is applied with vinegar on Alopecia, grows the hair and removes the Alopecia.

**It is also stated that the local application of this extract removes the scars of small pox and boils.

*The powder of seeds mixed with butter is effective in brittle nails.

*The pickles prepared from olive fruits is a good appetizer and removes constipation.

*The smashed leaves are applied locally to check excessive perspiration.

*The water extracted from the leaves with honey is used as eardrops and effective in various ear ailments.

*The oil procured by burning of olive wood is effective against all fungal infection viz a viz, Ringworm, T.versicolor etc. in addition to Eczema, Psoriasis, Dandruff and Alopecia.

*The local application of olive oil on scalp is highly effective against dandruff. It grows the hairs and checks, the loss of hair.

*The application of olive oil in eyes relieves the inflammation.

*The massage of olive oil over the body tones up the muscles and organs, it relieves muscular pains.

*Some physicians also advocate the massage of olive oil for epilepsy.
It relieves the Sciatic and arthritis.

*The ointments prepared from olive oil are very good healing agents. It heals the sinus and fistula very quickly. 25ml of olive oil mixed with 250ml of barley water, if taken internally, is highly effective against chronic constipation.

*It is a good Diuretic, hence is used in Ascites.

*It also removes the kidney stones.

*A conventional regimen is also available comprising of olive oil and other herbal drugs having potential against the Gall bladder stones. It is stated that this regimen dissolves and expels the Gall bladder stone.

2bcontinued :insha: (One more part)

Al Qadr
09-06-07, 07:00 PM
....... In view of the researches carried out in USA and England, it is concluded that it is a good nourishing diet during the ailments of kidney, where nitrogen-containing food/proteins in take is contra indicated.

Since, the Prophet ( :saw: ) stated that it is a good remedy for Anal fissure, hence for the same complaint patients were advised to take two spoonful of olive oil at bedtime and an ointment was applied on fissure locally at retiring and in morning, prepared from 8 spoonfuls of olive oil and 2 spoonfuls of ground henna leaves. This showed very good effects against the problem. It is a good tonic for hair and maintains the lustre. Its combination with other prescribed drugs of Tibb-al-Nabwi is a good remedy for Psoriasis and Eczema. The impressions of several doctors practicing in Middle East and North Africa reveal that no case was detected of Gastro Intestinal Carcinoma, among those who were used to consuming olive oil. Japanese doctors also endorse this fact and have the opinion that olive oil prevents the incidence of G.I.T. Carcinoma.

The Prophet( :saw: ) stated that it is a good remedy for intestinal inflammations. Therefore it was used in the cases of G.I.T ulcers and found very much effective. It is also observed that no remedy equates the benefits of olive oil in hyper acidity and gas troubles.

The Prophet ( :saw: ) recommended the use of olive oil in Pleurisy. Keeping this in view olive oil was administered in various diseases of Respiratory tract and it was observed that the regular users of olive oil were least affected with common cold and coryzha? and pneumonia.

The clinical experiences of well-qualified and highly established doctors in the profession who take a keen interest in Prophet’s medicine reveal that olive oil is a good supportive treatment in Tubercular infection of either site. According to a narration of Kahlid Bin Saad(R.A.) in Ibn Maja, one spoonful of Kalonji was pulverized and mixed with 12 spoonful of olive oil. This suggestion was dropped into the nostrils morning and evening for the cases of chronic cold and epitasis. The results were found highly positive.

Al Qadr
03-07-07, 11:09 AM
Treatment of Cataract from the Quran

Source: http://www.islamicvoice.com/january.2002/opinion.htm

One of the Swiss pharmaceutical companies has started producing a new medicine called “Medicine of Quran” which allows the treatment of cataract without surgery. As the newspaper Ar-Raya, published in Qatar writes, “this drug which was synthesised by an Egyptian doctor Abdul Basit Muhammad from the secretions of human sweat glands and has an effectiveness of 99 per cent with absolutely no side effects, was registered in Europe and the United States. It is also reported that one of the Swiss companies produces the new drug in the form of liquid and eye drops .

The source of inspiration is Surah(chapter) Yusuf. Dr Abdul Basit Muhammad emphasised that he obtained his inspiration from Surah Yusuf and said: “ Once in the morning, I was reading Surah(chapter) Yusuf. My attention lingered over the 84th and successive ayats (verses).

"Go with this shirt of mine, and cast it over the face of my father, he will become clear-sighted, and bring to me all your family" (Qur'an 12:93)

They tell that Prophet Yakub who was mourning his son Yusuf (peace be upon them) in sadness and grief got his eyes turned white and later when people cast over the sorrowful father’s face, the shirt of his son Yusuf, vision returned to him and he was able to see again.Here I started pondering. What could be there in the shirt of Yusuf? Finally I arrived at the decision that nothing except sweat could be on it. I concentrated my thoughts over the sweat and its composition. Then I proceeded to the laboratory for research.
I carried out a series of experiments on rabbits. The results turned out to be positive. Later I performed treatment on 250 patients by administering the drug twice a day for two weeks. Finally I achieved 99 per cent success and said to myself: “ This is the miracle of the Quran” Dr Abdul Basit Muhammad presented the results of his research to appropriate institutions in Europe and the United States dealing with patenting of new discoveries for consideration. After tests and research were performed, he finalised a contract with a Swiss company on the production of the medicine on the condition that the package should clearly mention-“Medicine of Quran.” In the words of the Egyptian scientist, the company accepted his condition and started producing the new drug. (Courtesy-Ar-Raya, Qatar)

Allah Ta'ala says in the Qur'an-e-Kareem:
We send down from the Qur'an that which is a healing and mercy to those who believe)(QURAAN 17:82)

Protection against blindness:
Recite three times morning and evening: "Subhaanallaahil- azeemi wa bihamdihi wala hauwla wala quwwata illa billaah" : "Pure and sublime is Allah. The Mighty and Praise belongs only to Him. There is no Power to save from sins, nor strength to accomplish good but with the Help of Allah." (From:"Morning & Evening Duaas")

Strengthening the eye-sight(from Qur'an):
Recite this verse three times after every salaah(prayer) for strengthening of eye-sight: "Laqad kunta fie ghaflatim min haadha fakashafna anka ghitaa-aka fabasurakal hadeed": "(It will be said) Thou wast heedless of this, now We have removed thy veil, And sharp is thy sight this day !" (From: "Remedies from the Holy Qur'an.")

sada
03-07-07, 02:50 PM
assalam,bro Al Qadr,this thread is from ones I have been waiting perfectly,I couldn't start thread cos of I'm a new member...I'll make some research about Tıbb ı Nabawee when I take my medicine diplom,inshaallah...May ALLAH get it Mobarak...:up:

Al Qadr
03-07-07, 03:07 PM
assalam,bro Al Qadr,this thread is from ones I have been waiting perfectly,I couldn't start thread cos of I'm a new member...I'll make some research about Tıbb ı Nabawee when I take my medicine diplom,inshaallah...May ALLAH get it Mobarak...:up:

:wswrwb:

Its sis Al Qadr :coolsis:

New members can make threads :S I seen em make introductory threads.

whats tibb i nabawee

hope ur medicine studies go well Insha'Allaah

sada
03-07-07, 05:29 PM

Its sis Al Qadr :coolsis:

New members can make threads :S I seen em make introductory threads.

whats tibb i nabawee

hope ur medicine studies go well Insha'Allaah

:smack: assalam,ukhti,I couldn't make there's some problems abuot activation.
you're writing about 'Tıbb ı Nabawe';) ,medicine, methods of curind and advices about health of Rasolullah saw...
and my medicine study are not allowed in my country for a long time cos of my headcover,hijab...Make a pray for me and like me inshaallah...

Al Qadr
06-09-07, 11:08 AM
:smack: assalam,ukhti,I couldn't make there's some problems abuot activation.
you're writing about 'Tıbb ı Nabawe';) ,medicine, methods of curind and advices about health of Rasolullah saw...
and my medicine study are not allowed in my country for a long time cos of my headcover,hijab...Make a pray for me and like me inshaallah...

:( Insha'Allaah you be allowed to practice medicine. :hidban::hidban::hidban:

BUMPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP

Abdul-Curim
23-09-07, 09:02 AM
Honey could reduce effects of ageing

Worried over ageing? Just start taking a spoonful of honey every day.

Yes, according to scientists , honey could help counter the effects of ageing and decrease anxiety. "Diets sweetened with honey may be beneficial in decreasing anxiety and improving memory during ageing,"

Nicola Starkey of the University of Waikato in New Zealand told the British daily. According to her, this could be due to the antioxidant properties of honey. In fact, Starkey and Lynne Chepulis of the same university came to the conclusion after they conducted their tests on rodents.

They raised them on diets of ten per cent honey, eight per cent sucrose or no sugar at all for a year. The rats were two months old at the start of the trial, and were assessed every three months using tests designed to measure anxiety and spatial memory.

The honey-fed rats spent almost twice as much time in the open sections of an assessment maze then sucrose-fed rats, suggesting they were less anxious. They were also more likely to enter novel sections of a Y-shaped maze, suggesting they knew where they had been previously and had better spatial memory.

It may be mentioned that honey has been used since ancient times as a food, medicine and beauty treatment. It has also been used as an antiseptic therapeutic agent for the treatment of ulcers, burns and wounds. Moreover, honey contains various micro-nutrients said to help prevent some cancers and combat hay-fever .

Al Qadr
31-12-07, 07:59 PM
Four matters bring demise to the body:

Depression
Sadness
Hunger
Staying up late at night

Four matters bring joy:

Looking at greenery
Running water
Lovedones
Fruit

Four matters bring darkness to the sight:

Walking barefooted
Seeing hate faces mornings & afternoons or seeing the enemy
Excessive crying :o
Looking at thin lines for extended periods of time

p.356

Desipower
13-01-08, 05:53 PM
Four matters bring demise to the body:

Depression
Sadness
Hunger
Staying up late at night

Four matters bring joy:

Looking at greenery
Running water
Lovedones
Fruit

Four matters bring darkness to the sight:

Walking barefooted
Seeing hate faces mornings & afternoons or seeing the enemy
Excessive crying :o
Looking at thin lines for extended periods of time

p.356

How can walking barefooted bring darkness to the sight? :rubeyes:

Al Qadr
17-07-08, 12:01 PM
Bump

Al Qadr
25-12-08, 05:59 PM
Allah's Medicine Chest: Lemons

Lemons are just one example of the simple bounties Allah has provided us with. Although they may just be a "customary fruit," they contain flavanoids, which are often referred to as 'natures biological modifiers,' because of their ability to modify the body's reactions to other compounds such as: allergens, viruses and carcinogens.

Lemons are usually known for their high content of Vitamin C - four times higher than that of oranges. Hungarian scientist, Albert Szent-Gyorgi, uncovered a synergy between pure vitamin C and a then unidentified co-factor in the peels of lemons and called the resulting compound Vitamin P. Still known as such, Vitamin P particularly benefits the capillaries by reducing pain and improving blood circulation. It also heals cataracts, decreases bile production, alleviates herpes and lowers blood cholesterol levels (Murray, p. 1).

Other important properties of lemons are their mineral contents. They contain 48.3% potassium, which nourishes the brain and nerve cells; 29.9% calcium, which builds strong bones and teeth; and 4.4% magnesium, which in conjunction with calcium, plays an important part in the formation of albumen in the blood.

In addition to their nutritional benefits, the smell and the taste of lemons can help fuel a general release of stress. In aromatherapy, lemon oil is used as a muscle relaxant and a skin and circulation stimulant. Rubbed on the face, lemons open up the pores releasing heat and refreshing the skin.

Lemons have other therapeutic effects on the body as well. Drinking lemon juice helps cleanse the lymphatic system, invigorate skin tissue and increase the blood flow (Gurudas, p. 167). This might be one reason for the popularity of lemonade on a hot, sticky day. Eaten during pregnancy, lemons help build the developing baby's bones. Lemons also aid in the digestion of heavy meals by producing the necessary enzymes and in the assimilation of protein, calcium, zinc and vitamins.

Lemons also have cholesterol - lowering properties, thus preventing hair loss and even causing hair regeneration. They counteract cases of anxiety and depression; stimulate the liver and the gall bladder, causing a release in congestion; stimulate the formation of valuable leukocytes in the fight against viral and infectious diseases; drain excess water in cases of water retention; reduce uric acid; and stimulate the lymphatic system in cases of cellulite and obesity (Gurudas, p. 168).

In order to fully benefit from their effects, lemons should be consumed without sugar. Otherwise the negative effects of the sugar (such as lowering immunity, interfering with digestion and leeching vitamins and minerals from the system) may outweigh their beneficial effects. The limonenes and liminoids in lemons, and other citrus fruits, increase the activity of enzymes that detoxify certain carcinogens. These alkaloids bind mutated cells and help the body to eliminate them before they become carcinogenic (Messina p.2).

Health Tips

To relieve a cold and sore throat, mix a teaspoon of honey and the juice of one lemon, in a glass of water and drink every two hours. Another family remedy, which I use frequently, is a clove of crushed garlic, mixed with half a lemon and sweetened with honey. This usually clears up anything I may be "coming down with" by the time Fajr prayer arrives.

For cystitis, to acidify the urine and to stop bladder infections, drink a glass of cherry juice, lemon juice and water on an hourly basis at the first sign of infection (Stein, p.169).

For fevers, hot water and lemon juice will support and speed up the fevering process, helping the body fight-off infections or toxins. Without the fever, the immune system has fewer ways to combat the disease. However, if there are bowel problems this should be avoided (Stein, p. 169).

For children, rub the body with two halves of a lemon to open the pores of the skin and release the body heat.

To help proper assimilation of calcium and other minerals, or for leg cramps, sip a warm glass of water with a teaspoon of lemon juice (Stein, p.238).

As a mouthwash, lemons are more natural then fluoride and effective in removing plaque. They also whiten and strengthen tooth enamel (Gurudas, p.167).

For diphtheria, use pure lemon juice every hour as a gargle and swallow some until it cuts loose the false membrane in the throat.

One tablespoon of pure lemon juice before each meal relieves asthma, (Kloss, p.660).

In cases of excessive menstruation, the juice of 3-4 lemons a day will help.

Cooking Tips
With an increase in low-fat cooking, lemons have become more popular in the West, because of their ability to add sparkle and freshness to dishes. Lemons add a clean, yet complex flavor to dishes that were previously laden with salt or fat. Lemons, which cleanse the system, can replace vinegar, which opposes the action of gastric juices.

Homemade Mayonnaise
Slowly pour corn oil, a beaten egg and a pinch of salt to the juice of half a lemon. This makes one small jar, which can be added as a sauce to other recipes.

Lemon Zest
After lemons are washed and dried, use a grater to remove the outer yellow layer of the peel. This "zest" can be placed in a freezer for future use (Vegetarian Times, p.6).

Preserved Lemons
This is a Middle Eastern recipe used to flavor chicken dishes, stews and salads. Wash the lemons well and cut them into quarters (but not all the way through) or in half if you are using limes. Put them in a wide necked jar (preferably glass or clay). Press the lemons down with a weight and add salt and water. The salted juices preserve the peels, which will soften and mellow in a month. The juice can be used for seasoning (Roden, p.63).

Remember that Allah (swt) gave us everything we may need. We merely adapt that bounty to the times by making new discoveries or rediscovering old applications.

By Hwaa Irfan (Courtesy IslamOnline)
http://www.islamonline.net/english/Science/2001/05/article7.shtml

PRANA
25-12-08, 06:45 PM
Love this thread-thank you:)!!!!

Al Qadr
14-12-13, 05:14 PM
Barley - for depression/grief:

I heard about a barley and milk concoction recently, did a little research.

The Prophet Muhammed :saw: recommended talbina (a meal made from powdered barley) for the sick and grieving.

He is quoted as saying, “At-talbina gives rest to the heart of the patient and makes it active and relieves some of his sorrow and grief”

Talbina is a meal made by mixing 2 spoons of barley and a cup of water, cooked for 5 min, after that a cup of yogurt and bee’s honey is added, it is called Talbina which comes from the Arabic Word Laban meaning yogurt because of its resemblances to the yogurt, as it is soft and white. And Aisha said that the Prophet :saw: has advised us to use it as a medicine, as he said. It's a cure for sadness:“At-talbina gives rest to the heart of the patient and makes it active and relieves some of his sorrow and grief” (Bukhari 7:71#593).

It is narrated that the wife of the Prophet :saw: “Aisha”, if one of her relatives die, and after the funerals, used to gather the women in the familly, and ask for a pot and cook the talbina, after that she would prepare some kind of a meal called: thrida”, which is mainly peaces of bread emerged in a sauce. And she would poor the talbina on it. And tell the women: eat from it, as I heard the prophet :saw: saying.

http://www.deenislam.co.uk/foods5.html